Re: [IRCA] DX Season

I tend to agree with Glenn and Kraig in believing DX season to be all year around; there is usually something to be found.

On the west coast, atmospheric noise levels don't increase markedly during the summer months, but of course, northerly overseas paths mostly disappear for a month or two around summer solstice, compensated for by better reception from New Zealand.

Having said that, I realize that it may be a bit of a flip answer. There are two times when overseas DX (my primary interest) does peak. Late August through late October usually deliver "more" and "better" DX for time spent listening compared with other times of year.

Then, the winter doldrums ("winter anomaly", hardly anomalous, as it happens every year) sets in. If I went out to the coast tomorrow, put out an array of Beverages, DKaz, magic flashing lights etc., there is a good chance that for my efforts, I'd hear only Tahiti and maybe HLAZ, and not well at that. Things are generally better in a quiet year in the solar cycle, when TA's can appear, but not predictably. But a solid darkness path is no guarantee of good reception, even during periods of geomagnetic quiet.

Late January through early April can also show a peak, "DX heard for time spent" increases again, though not usually as much as during the fall boost. After that, increasing daylight does limit things until the end of August, though often not as much as the "winter anomaly" does.

best wishes,

Nick