[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, August 28-September 3, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page38

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within
each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2598-SSB, Aug 31 at 0520 UT, too weak talk to copy, but it`s a Canadian CG frequency for N/L marine weather. Per Bill Hepburn`s schedule at this hour,
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/mb.htm
it`s the one QC station in this group, CJH-22, Natashquan (RiviÃre au Renard), which is on the coast ouest of Terre-Neuve, starting at 0437 --- that`s quite a while ago, but no further broadcasts among the seven stations until Placentia at 0737 UT.

I was also looking for the 2600-AM carrier, probable MW harmonic, but not heard now, apparently needing daytime facility circa sunset (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 2748.95-USB, Sept 2 at 0140, YL robot with marine weather in English, i.e. scheduled at this time, VAR-3 Fundy NS, i.e. Yarmouth just started (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA. (1650), Aug 27 at 1700 UT, KYHN webcast is in Herman Cain show, but no break at hourtop --- he`s in a 20-minute quick-response segment; another far right wacko is on an hour later, with no break either, so I conclude the webcast, if really from KYHN, whose ID I was wanting to reconfirm instead of ``WFSM``, is way off-time as surely these shows accede to hourtop news hole breaks in real time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, Aug 28 at 0559 UT, ``AM 16-50, Arklahoma`s talk radio, KYHN, Fort Smith``, nice singing ID, bong and CBS news. So still no sign of the alleged call change to WFSM which FCC shows, and quoted by some other DX sources without really monitoring it. Here`s the callsign history page showing previous KYHN and others, but not the date WFSM supposedly started:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/call_hist.pl?Facility_id=87114&Callsign=WFSM
Aside from the news, KYHN continues to air `Red Eye Radio` far-right trucker nonsense out of WBAP overnight, and repeated a couple seconds later on adjacent local 1640 KZLS. Note: my previous report of monitoring KYHN webcast at 1700 & 1800 UT was on Aug 27, not 28 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1789, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Re: don`t you believe WFSM --- Glenn - The CDBS database has this station back to KYHN as of Friday, August 28 - should be fixed in AM Query by Monday. 73, (David Yocis, NRC, WORLD OF RADIO 1789, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Not checked until 0410 UT Sept 2, and yes indeed, no WFSM, and KYHN is back; and no sign of WFSM in 87114`s Call Sign History, either! (gh)

=======================

** U S A. 670, Aug 28 at 0608 UT, CBS Sports Radio, loops ESE conveniently with WSCR Chicago nulled, which is also CBS but not same programming. Obviously it`s 5 kW ``daytimer``, KHGZ Glenwood AR, cheating yet again, and blocking reception of Cuba further away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880-CUSB, Aug 27 at 0224 UT from E/W, sermon and outro as ``encore 2015`` on `Truth for Life`. This IDs my unID of almost 24 hours earlier not as KLRE Arkansas, but as KHAC Tse Bonito NM, the Christian Navajo station, when I did not think to detect whether it was lacking any lower sideband which is the case now; quite an oddity for the MW band, and not obvious with ordinary AM tuning. Also obvious that KHAC keeps running 10 kW day power at night, non-direxional; no mere 430 watts, this! Aug FCC LSR/LSS: 1230/0200 UT; Sept: 1300/0130 UT. Much better than talk in English on 770, presumably KKOB (Santa Fe?)

880, Aug 28 at 0557 UT, open carrier with KRVN nulled, facilitating log of XEPNK (see MEXICO), i.e. KHAC Tse Bonito NM, with modulation resumed by 0613 UT in Jesus song on USB only.

880-CUSB, Sept 1 at 0559, weather for Navajo Nation, KHAC ID, Tse (pronounced Say) Bonito, NM, and ``good night`` as if closing down, but continues with hymn (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

[Re 880 WMDB via 1300 WNQM TN appearing on MW/SW mixing products with WWCR:]

** U S A. 8820, Aug 27 at 2355 I start monitoring on the NRD-545 for the 7520+1300 WWCR+WNQM mixing product to pop on at the same time as 7520 on the PL-880. This happens at *2358:28 but nothing detectable on 8820. Propagation is very degraded and the noise level is high. I was able to hear 8820 carrier before but want to match its cut-on to 7520.

6220, I retune to and find a better than before signal from the 7520 minus 1300 mixing product, registering S8+, music in Spanish past hourtop to 0001 Aug 28 brief unreadable announcement, more music. As previously discovered, this is WMDB 880, ``La Ranchera``, Nashville, buying night-time on WNQM 1300. At first there was audio mix as before from some poor 2-way USB sailor. I couldn`t hear much from WWCR on 6220, till just a bit of steel drumming up to 0000.

6220.0-AM, WMDB, 880, Nashville TN, relayed by WNQM 1300, relayed by mixing spur with WWCR-4, 7520 minus 1300. Originally there was a power cut at 0045 UT, official August sunset in Nashville, corresponding to WNQM switch from 50 kW ND day to 5 kW direxional night. The signal after then would be detectable but much weaker.

I wasn`t listening before 0045 tonight, but surprised to be hearing it at ``high`` power level, 0105 UT Sat August 29, with ranchera music rating S6 vs storm crash peaks at S9. 0106 UT ``La Ranchera`` slogan of WMDB 880. 7520 WWCR is still on to produce the mixture, but I am not hearing much if any audio from it on 6220. 0132 still audible now at ~S7, and at 0144. So did WNQM stay on 50 kW after sunset??

This cannot last past 0158 when 7520 switches to 5890 UT Tue-Sat --- and one might reasonably expect to find the next SW-minus-MW mix on 5890 minus 1300 = 4590, but not sought lately. That will be on air all night; but 5890 doesn`t start until 0400 UT Sundays, 0300 UT Mondays. 7520 is not on air at all weekends, so no 6220 possible till UT Tuesday, but under these circumstances we should still hear it in September when WNQM supposedly cuts to night power and pattern at 0000 UT just as 7520 is starting.

8820, Aug 31 at 2355 I am sitting on this with NRD-545 BFO offset, to detect if and when a carrier come up here, 1300 kHz above 7520 WWCR which is about to turn on, with the PL-880 USB tuned to 7519. Yes! Both appear at exactly the same time, *2358:47 UT, so this SW + MW mixing product is confirmed.

I immediately retune to the SW minus MW mix on 6220, which is much stronger and hear the usual WWCR steel drum IS mixing with Spanish. 6220, UT Sept 1 at 0000, WMDB, Nashville TN via WNQM via WWCR, ranchera music continues while briefly hear CCI from USB Spanish mariner who again loses his legit 2-way frequency.

By 0015, 6220 rates S7, while 8820 is about S4, generally below the noise level; at 0038 I can hear a trace of Spanish music on 8820. At 0043 I am back on 6220 to detect whether there`s a power cut at 0045. Meanwhile, I measure it more like 6219.97; at 0044 it does seem weaker vs the noise level, about S5 tho no abrupt cut was obvious; by 0058 it`s a JBA carrier. 8820 at 0046 is also a JBA carrier; it was so weak in the first place that hard to tell if it`s diminished now, but perhaps.

7520 itself, Sept 1 at 0052, rates 70 over S9! But it`s dead air! Finally at 0057, WWCR ID and promos as modulation resumes.

WWCR transmitter schedules expired August 31:
http://www.wwcr.com/transmitter-sched.html
So it remains to be seen or heard whether 7520 will continue at 00-02 UT Tue-Sat only, and with it 1300 kHz above and below, mix with WNQM and its relay of WMDB. As I pointed out before, the official Sept sunset time for WNQM to reduce from 50 to 5 kW and go direxional is now 0000 UT, so the ``full power`` 6220 spur would nominally exist only from 2358:47 to 2400. That`s why I am especially satisfied to get the 8820 one confirmed at what may have been the last chance (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1789, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

6220 has also been heard by Chris Crosby, Buggs Island, south central Virginia (gh)

6220-AM, Sept 2 at 0056 UT check, JBA carrier, much stronger than JJBA carrier on 8820, i.e. the WWCR 7520 plus/minus WNQM 1300 mixes, no doubt still relaying WMDB 880 Nashville TN, La Ranchera. 6220 still audible at 0145 with ranchera music, Spanish, but not 8820.

New NRC AM Log for 1300 does not mention WMDB relay but 24h WNQM as ``Radio Vida`` --- is that branding still in effect at any hours? So now into September, WNQM should be cutting 1300 from 50 kW ND to 5 kW direxional night power at 0000 UT, but still enough to be detected on the two SW frequencies. I was going to look up the morning transition time, but FCC website is down until Sept 8 as per this intercept:
https://www.fcc.gov/blog/modernizing-fcc-s-it
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1560, Aug 31 at 0602 UT, partial ID ``PN 101.5`` amid heavy QRM, then ESPN`s Sports-Center; on the FRG-7 with longwire, so no DFing; I was rechecking for the YSR unID, but none of it now. 2015 NRC AM Log for 1560 shows no FM // 101.5 for an ESPN station or anything else. So I reverse search, the WTFDA FM Database on 101.5 for an ESPN, and get one hit:
WTHX 101.5 VINE GROVE KY 6.0 99.0 ESPN RADIO 101.5 SPORTS --- That`s SSW of Louisville. So is there a 1560 near there? Three in KY, the closest one being WKDO in Liberty, 1 kW daytimer, but supposed to be rock/oldies. Radio-Locator agrees. That`s in south-central KY, 107 km or 66 miles from Vine Grove, not too likely a share. Also WKDO has its own FM (not a translator) on 98.7. And WTHX has no known connexion with any 1560 station:
http://espnky.com/wthx/
So maybe this was a totally false lead, meaning that some other 1560 ESPN now has an FM // on 101.5. How about the ESPN website? Affiliate list
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/story?id=6197767
claims to be ``Updated: February 28, 2013, 12:16 PM ET``! And it`s not a list but a Google map, unfriendly to search. KZQQ 1560 Abilene TX has been ESPN in the past but is apparently Fox Sports currently. I give up for now. Any other ideas? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn: -- Your ESPN/1560 appears to be WMBH
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ESPN+FM+101.5+%26+am+1560
73z â (GREG HARDISON, CA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Tnx, Greg. Good: the new NRC AM Log had WMBH`s FM // as KSHQ 100.7, and in fact 100.7 is still shown at the WMBH website:
http://espnjoplin.com/wmbh/

But on Facebook Aug 25 they do refer to 101.5: ``Tune in daily to ESPN Radio Joplin from 5-6p and Fridays 12p-2p on 1560 AM /101.5 FM and the WMBH App.``

Here`s the significant FB item:

``ESPN Joplin - The Sports Edge June 22 [2015] Â ESPN Radio now has a new FM station here in Joplin, along with 1560 AM we are now a simulcast with 101.5 FM! Great signal with larger reach. The Sports Edge, Joplin Blasters, and all other ESPN Programming can now be heard on both stations.``

FCC FM Query shows 101.5 in Joplin is a mere translator, K268CP, first an APP, then a CP for 15 WATTS. Another unrelated translator is listed on 100.5, but no 100.7 for Joplin itself. KSHQ 100.7 is 17.7 kW licensed to Deerfield MO, which is too insignificant to appear in the Rand McNally Atlas index. Radio-locator shows its site is on the KS side of the border, SSE of Fort Scott KS, = NNW of Joplin which is between its Distant and Fringe contours. Then I find Deerfield on the map, east of Fort Scott KS, west of Nevada MO. So the 15-watt translator can`t possibly have a ``larger reach`` than a 17.7 kW station, but it is certainly closer to Joplin.

Radio-Locator acknowledges the WMBH/K268CP connexion, but shows:

``Parent Station Address:
611 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
Please Note:  This address comes from the FCC's database and may not be up to date. For verified radio station mailing addresses, please look at our mailing list options.

K268CP-FM [sic] Technical Info:
This station is operating under a Construction Permit:
Parent Station WMBH-AM [sic]
Status      Currently Off the Air FM Translator [Help]
Frequency   101.5 MHz
City        Joplin, Missouri
Effective Radiated Power 15 Watts``

But no coverage map to facilitate coverage evaluation circaJoplin. BTW, address for WMBH is listed in NRC AM Log as across the border in Wyandotte OK, which is way up in Ottawa County, NE corner of OK, the town SE of Miamuh OK. I wasn`t aware Metro Joplin extended that far (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Interesting, must have a STA for the translator it's shown as a CP with an AP[plication] in the FM Query (Wayne Heinen, NRC AM Log, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Aug 30 at 0554 UT, Tejano music loops SSE/NNW, no doubt KKLF Richardson (Dallas) TX, reactivated once again. More of it Aug 31 at 0043 UT check, atop frequency, altho no ID caught yet. Similar but not // to 1540 KEDA San Antonio. KKLF may be sporadic (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2600.0, Aug 30 at 0056 UT, JBA signal on AM as I am tuning for the Canadian marine weather on 2598 (not heard), but this is something new; trace of music? Most likely a 2 x 1300 harmonic, so could it be WNQM Nashville? Just because they mix with WWCR onto 6220 doesn`t mean they also put out direct harmonix. Also crossed by slow ionosonde. Gone at recheck 0110 UT. So the unID`s official sunset could have been 0100 UT, off or to lower power. WNQM should do that at 0045 UT correctly in August, but we suspect they were not strictly compliant. The 0100 UT strip would be somewhat west of Nashville, such as IL, MS â plenty of possibilities. To be chased further. BTW, no carrier on 2660 at this time from presumed KGLD 1330 Tyler TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1789, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2660-AM, Aug 31 at 0522, JBA music, probably 2 x 1330, KGLD Tyler TX; slightly on the hi side compared to 1660 KWOD. BTW, I previously referred to KGLD being on 1300 instead of correct 1330; i.e., nothing to do with another, unID harmonic on 2600 (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1789, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---