[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 12-19, 2015

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page32

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency
order

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, March 14 at 1252 UT, KFAQ Tulsa is out of order: carrier breaking up with modulation peaks, sounds bad on AM, and obvious with BFO; recheck at 1430 UT, it`s back in whack. This has happened before (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, March 19 at 0639 UT, ``Today`s Country for Perryton, 12-10 KGYN``. As usual, much more signal at night than there should be, if Guymon is really protecting Philadelphia. Perryton is a smaller town across the line in the NE TX Panhandle. Last time I was there it stank from hog farming, nixed a motel stay. I also used to have a cousin of some sort in Perryton (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=============

** U S A. 570, March 13 at 0621 UT, open carrier, dead air and some hum, loops NE/SW, much stronger than KLIF with Bohannon. Very likely it`s the only US station which fits, Las Cruces NM, currently called KWML with 5 kW day power rather than 155 watts night, both non-direxional.

BTW, FCC AM Query brings up a third Las Cruces entry, on 890, NEW, 10/1 kW, direxional at nite, broad cardioid toward SW, null toward WLS. But most info is lacking, not even who owns it or address! Apparently it`s an application which has been granted, but not yet specified as a CP (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, March 12 at 1752 UT as I turn on the caradio, there is WGN Chicago IL, and it`s almost noon! Poor signal but completely readable; stronger than it ever gets by groundwave at midsummer. A reminder of the city-to-city distance, Chicago-Enid: 667 statute miles, 1074 km.

670, March 12 at 1752 UT, sports talk is also dominant here instead of groundwave remnant of KLTT Denver, so WSCR is also making it tho as always not as well as WGN.

Something`s screwing with the D-layer which should be blocking skywave on a bright sunny almost-spring day. I reset my destination to the powerless kitefield but by the time I get there at 1800 UT, WGN has faded to JBA, and nothing else unusual, no 1690 WVON Chicago either.

((It turns out, tho powerlines are distant from the middle of the field, I am still getting some low noise level, and additionally strong whine of same pitch against every frequency (unless a strong blocker) 1010-1260 kHz! Then it cuts off a couple minutes later. Maybe coming from a nearby oil rig, or the Autry Tech Center, as this is in its backyard.))

After lunch nearby, I check 720 again at 1830 UT and WGN is reaudible  with sports talk, also a SAH (San Antonio?) and fading down again. Local mean noon here is always 1832 UT. When I get home again a few minutes later, before local noise overtakes, WGN can be heard, now with some musical CCI, KSAH? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, March 13 at 1838-1840+ UT on caradio, once again WGN is audible at midday, this being 6-8 minutes after local mean noon in Enid. Also with a SAH of 136/minute = 2.27 Hz, nothing but KSAH Universal City TX possibly in range (unless it`s some kind of spur or image, unseems).(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, March 13 at 1313 UT, ``Ahora en dos frecuencias, 104.1 FM y 720 AM, La Estación de La Raza``, i.e. KSAH Universal City (San Antonio) TX; fair signal and alone on frequency, no WGN. Also was just getting C&W on 680, no doubt KKYX San Antonio.

The 104.1 would be KSAH-FM, licensed to Pearsall, which is way down I-35 southwest of San Antonio, while Universal City is on the northeast edge. Since the rebranding from ESPN Deportes, 104.1 replaces the // 103.1 KHHL listed in the NRC AM Log. FCC info on 104.1 is interesting. Besides 100 kW KSAH-FM there is also a 20 kW KSAH-FM1 booster on same frequency, diexional with reduced signal from 320 clockwise to 90 degrees, i.e. toward San Antonio, (the opposite of what one would expect) from site east of Pearsall, but not much closer to the metropolis, near Jourdanton:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=161921
Other KSAH-FM site is SE of Pearsall, even further from San Antonio.
Still co-owned KHHL 103.1 is only 34 kW, in Karnes City, SE of SATEX on US 181, about the same distance out as Pearsall to the SW; long live rimshooting (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, March 13 at 1314 UT, Spanish station alone on frequency talking about Valle de Tejas, Hidalgo and other localities, no doubt KVJY Pharr again. SRS is now favoring the San Antonio to Monterrey area, not further west in Mexico, perhaps because the equinoxial terminator is now almost due north-south (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, March 13 at 1316 UT, something in Spanish underneath very dominant KRVN Nebraska. Makes a slow SAH, and almost opposite, i.e. from the south, as I can`t hear it when I null KRVN. I am also getting several SRS stations from San Antonio to RGV to Monterrey at this time. Listed possibilities:

XETC, Torreón, Coahuila, 10/1 kW, Estéreo Mayrán, Kiuu (IRCA Mex list)
(there are a few more deeper into Mexico and more to the east).

KJOZ, Conroe TX, 10/1 kW, listed as SS religion, address in Pasadena, application to move to Baytown, i.e. metro Houston.

KRVN is really to the NNW, not due north, while Conroe is to the SSE, so I conclude this is KJOZ, while Torreón is far from collinear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re my log of Spanish on 880 opposite to KRVN in Nebraska, Stephen Luce, Houston TX replies in the DXLD yg: ``Glenn, KJOZ is indeed Spanish language religious, at various times // to one or more of co-owned 980, 1380 and 1590 in the Houston market. Both the day and night signal for KJOZ are surprisingly mediocre at my Northwest Harris County QTH. The application to move would involve separate day and night sites; IIRC the night site would beam SW while the day site goes NNW. BTW Conroe is as much a part of the Houston urban sprawl as Baytown is`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, March 18 at 0606 UT, ``Mighty 1090 weather`` -- showers, and into talk show, neither C2C nor Jimbo nor Red Eye, so what is it, local? Or statal: Probably `Texas Overnight` as on the KVOP Plainview TX schedule. Originates at KRLD, so I should have (next time?) just checked adjacent for a // but probably out of synch. I am more interested in avoiding the IBOC out of 1080 now, best aiming ENE/WSW which also fits nicely for KVOP!

KVOP, 5/0.5 kW U4, is in fact the only 1090 in the NRC AM Log with that slogan (or `Mightly``), tho likely there are more.

Anyhow it`s not WBAL Baltimore which I was hoping for but whose night pattern puts nothing to the west. There is one more ``Mighty 1090``, which doesn`t qualify for the NRC AM Log of US & Canada: XEPRS ``San Diego``, 50 kW which could certainly reach us like 1070 KNX, except 1090 is extremely direxional at night NNW/SSE. For that matter, KVOP also has a null toward us if on night pattern, and so does the day pattern tho not as tight. Showers are also more likely in the TX panhandle (and here), than in BCN or ACS.

KAAY Little Rock was also ``Mighty 1090``, but it`s certainly off the air due to copper theft and may never come back? Likewise KARN 920. On March 17, Fritze Prentice in AR refers us to threads about that:

``Glenn, yes, both stations are off the air. I found out via a FB group, "KAAY-AM, The Mighty 1090". I checked over the air reception (which isn't easy here with KAAY's STA'd nighttime signal) and nothing was heard. I then posted that to another group "I Love AM Radio" and that group has been very active with posts and speculation of the cause which apparently was because of copper theft at both sites. KARN has been off the air since Feb 1, and KAAY since approx. Feb 13. On Sunday morning on lunch break, I confirmed again the absence of KAAY 1090.

FB links are to the KAAY-AM The Mighty 1090 group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/198469254312/

For the I Love AM Radio FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2229450992/

Both are public FB groups. F.H. (Haley) Prentice, Star City AR``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1765, DX LISTENING DIGEST)
No, they aren`t - login required (gh)

** U S A. 1090, March 19 at 0605 UT I have tuned in slightly earlier than 24 hours ago to the weak station audible here in the absence of KAAY: PSA for an event sponsored by the Edmonson Fire Department! -- Edmonson is a small suburb just northwest of Plainview TX, which is roughly halfway between Amarillo and Lubbock. Then the weather forecast is sponsored by West Texas Farm Credit, on ``The Mighty 10-90``. So absolutely positive it`s KVOP Plainview.

At 0624 UT I`m back on 1090 to compare programming of `Texas Overnight` to adjacent originator, 1080 KRLD. They are `way out of synch, with KVOP about 21 seconds *ahead* of KRLD which must be imposing a significant delay upon itself for some reason. Ironic that KRLD QRMs its own affiliate with awful IBOC. I hear ESPN mentioned, but it`s not CCI from WBAL, rather current topic of discussion on TX show about what`s on Dish TV (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, March 15 at 0129 UT, soul/gospel music, loops NW/SE, 0130 UT maybe sung ID unreadable; go-to-church promo, plug Sunday 6 am show on ``the Gospel Powerhouse``, 0131 UT American Optometric Association PSA/ad?, then ``KSYB, Shreveport`s Premier Station``. It`s 5000/30 watts non-direxional; guess which? Neither slogan is in NRC AM Log. Can`t find any own website, just numerous streaming aggregators (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1470, March 19 at 1225 UT, ``KDHN, Voice of the Great High Plains``, Texas weather. Perfect match for slogan as in the NRC AM Log, from Dimmitt TX, 500/149 watts U3 with a 500-watt PSRA (every month per FCC). March sunrise is 1300 UT (April: 1215 UT). Both day and night patterns have the major lobes west, but there it is.

Dimmitt is in the Panhandle, next town south of Hereford; not to be confused with Dimmit (one T) county, which is way down in S Texas around Carrizo Springs. Who was this Dimmit(t) to be so honored?

Well, the county was named for Philip Dimmit, who fought for TX independence, as in
http://www.dimmitcounty.org/history/
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdi19
While the town was named for early settler W. C. Dimmitt as in
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfd04
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, March 18 at 0316 UT, ``you are listening to Victory 100.9 FM, keep it locked``, more music, loops E-W and nothing from WCKY, propped out. This is again 2500-watt ``daytimer`` KVDW in England AR, IDing only for its FM translator on 100.9, which is K265EO, per NRC AM Log which lists the slogan as ``Victory 1530`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 690, March 19 at 0631 UT, amid the CCI I hear a station in Spanish mentioning Tejas and 5 mil watts. But those clues lead nowhere as neither Tejano is Spanish or 5 kW. Could KTSM El Paso or KPET Lamesa have flipped from English? Not KPET per its Facebook or http://kpet-radio.tumblr.com/ if up to date; nor KTSM per http://www.ktsmradio.com/main.html still dedicated to propagating far-right extremism in English -- Nor does any 690 Mexican find itself upon the TX border, closest being Monterrey (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 870, March 17 at 0624 UT, open carrier with WWL nulled, maybe ~10 Hz SAH. Most likely daytimer KFJZ Fort Worth TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1290, March 17 at 0607 UT, choice of Jimbo from NE/SW, or C2CAM from NW/SE, mutually nullable, both vs lots of CCI. Most likely closest are KOIL Omaha NE and KOWB Laramie WY, respectively (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1410, March 15 at 0027 UT, ESPN Radio in English, loops NW/SE so not Wichita which anyway is Fox Sports. ESPN roster has two likelies: KDBS, 1000/30 watts in Alexandria LA; and KOOQ, 5000/500 watts from North Platte NE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1500, March 15 at 0126 UT, I get some music, Mexican?  Bass beat with SBG from KSTP nulled as much as possible. Also at 0140 UT; at 0145, slow vocal music, DF seems NW/SE to NNW/SSE but no chance of copying it except when aimed WNW/ESE at KSTP null. Computing the SAH between them, about 108/minute = 1.8 Hz, but hard to count with a third weak off-frequency signal in the mix. 0148 UT maybe a Spanish ID as it fades; stay with it another dekaminute but no more peaks vs KSTP.

There are only 3 Mexicans on 1500, prime one being XEDF, México DF, 50 kW Cadena Radio Uno per IRCA and Aoki; R. Fórmula 1500, Segunda Cadena per WRTH. Only Cantú shows a reduced night power of 5 kW. But the DF does not fit for any XE. So how about US SS on 1500? NRC AM Log has two in AL, one in FL, one in IL, two in TX, all daytimers or with negligible night power. Texans are not a DF fit either. By direxion and distance, one of the Alabamans is most likely: WQCR Alabaster, 2300/3 watts or WKAX Russellville, 1000/- watts; either of these known to cheat, and confirmed as Spanish? At least there are no Cubans on 1500; in fact the only Cuban frequency in the 1500s is 1550, with a pileup of Rebeldes, no doubt to block something from CUBA [non], WRHC Coral Gables (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)