Re: [IRCA] Phone exchanges (was Re: KIDD-630)

Different reason completely.  Exchanges were used because people doing the
phone system planning thought their user base was not intelligent enough to
remember that many numbers.  Their answer was to use exchanges that people
would be more likely to remember.  When it reached a point with phone
system expansion that remembering the exchanges became the more difficult
task, they gave up and just used the numbers that the exchanges
represented.  As late as the 1990's, "those" people said that people in
general could not remember more than 7 numbers in a row.

And we still have those letters on our telephone keypads, which seem to be
reserved for marketing fools.

Mike Hawkins