[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, August 29-September 4, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page25

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 540, Aug 31 at 0603 UT Sunday, techno music from N/S, announcement in Spanish about this being overnight on Friday and Saturday nights. Probably XEWA SLP with W Radio; program grid for network is not that specific:
http://www.wradio.com.mx/parrilla-programacion/
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 590, Sept 4 at 1145 UT, Spanish looping N/S, with 6:45 time, temp 22 C and converted to F, then call-in from woman listener complaining about some problem on her street. All clues point to XEFD in Reynosa, Tamaulipas on the border, likely on 5 kW day power by now.

As long as I can awaken before sunrise, now post-1200 UT, the SRS Mexicans are back in season --- one on practically every frequency in the 500s, 600s and some 700s, with the lowest and easternmost ones fading out first, like XEFD (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 610, Sept 4 at 1147 UT, weather forecast for next few days, CDT time, finally mentioning Sabinas in an ad, so XEBX in Coahuila (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 850, Sept 4 at 1157 UT, Mexican choral NA, 1158 into rock music in English, KOA talk easily nulled. I assume it`s the usual XEM, Milenio Radio in Chihuahua, Chihuahua (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 900, Sept 4 at 1200 UT, rock music in Spanish, 1202 ID as Hits FM 95.3 and mixed-choir Mexican NA; 1204 segué to Chihuahua anthem. Therefore it must be XEDT in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, but IRCA Log of last year and Cantú show FM on 98.3, so I must have mis-heard; there is no Chihuahuan listed on 95.3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 920, Sept 4 at 1205 UT, choral Mexican NA is playing, but soon fading out. Assuming it`s circa 6 am local, likely but not positively, that narrows it down to the two stations in the four states on UT -6: XEQD in Chihuahua, and XECQ in Culiacán, of which XEQD is more likely (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 980, Sept 4 at 1208 UT, world newscast in Spanish with YL anchor, several clips in English from NATO/Wales, Cameron, Biden, voiced-over in Spanish; westish, but combating KMBZ and losing out by 1210. Likely the Antena Radio newscast from IMER station XEFQ in Cananea, Sonora, which really gets out for 1 kW, as heard several times before. I should have checked for // to 1570 XERF (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 6185-, Sept 3 at 0128 I am astounded to hear news in Spanish with good signal level and good modulation. Can it still be XEPPM? Yes, same transmitter slightly on the low side, but must have got a new modulation tube. It`s even much stronger than 6180 Brasil, but that`s partly due to the weakish signal it`s been sporting lately. This is great news, if only XEPPM can keep it up!

News item at the moment is from Wáshington about ME affairs, including clips in English from USG spoxepersons, maybe originating with VOA? Next story about ébola (who decided that this neologism would be stressed on first syllable in Spanish, second in English??). 0131 wrapping up `Pulso de la Noche`, must be own produxion, some African song but lyrix sound at least partly Spanish, ``Yo soy ---`` this & that. 0133 ID ``Radio Educación desde la Colonia del Valle en la Ciudad de México``, next show ``Las Mujeres Contamos`` --- I guess that could be a play on words in Spanish --- women count as in they matter, but they also tell their stories. These programs match the MW 1060 XEEP, not SW program schedule at
http://www.radioeducacion.edu.mx/carta-programatica-del-mes
which is still labeled Mayo 2014, but just below it says Enero 2014. Furthermore the separate jpg SW schedule below that, if you hover over it, is dated Feb 2013! And is evidently no longer applicable.

XEPPM surely remains México`s last and only SWBC station; 6010 has weak Spanish with a het at 0134, presumably Colombia & Brasil (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1737, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 6185, Sept 4 at 0128, XEPPM still readable but modulation seems a bit lower than 24 hours earlier; and still way stronger than 6180 Brasil (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search, Sept 4 at 1150-1155 UT before sunrise here at 1205 today: just barely audible carrier on 774 kHz from the NW at 1150, and another on 1053 kHz at 1153. I am quite sure 774 is the prime TP signal we get, but rarely with audio, JOIB, NHK2, 500 kW from Sapporo, Japan. And 1053 likely the megawatt North Korean if not the South Korean jammer of unknown potency. Nothing yet from the other big-guns (or big`uns) from Japan on 693, 747, 828.

BTW, the tropical SW bands below 6 MHz were useless this morning, with storm noise, evidently from northern Illinois area, but no such problem on MW, where that area has already faded out beyond skywave propagation. OTOH, FE signals were good on 6-12 MHz.

I did step up to the top of the MW band with my usual technique which I will reëxplain once for this season: using only the DX-398 handheld with internal ferrite antenna, set on 9 kHz, but the zeroing is slightly off so if there is a carrier I hear a het with the BFO. Alternating between LSB and USB depending on which is further from 10-kHz North American QRM. Even with a very weak signal I can usually get a bearing from the NW in the case of east Asian sources. Unfortunately, a VCR is often putting out some hash at various unwanted MW spots. When I do a trans-Atlantic MW bandscan in the evenings, it`s normally from another location further from household QRM. If a TP or TA carrier is only 1 kHz from 10-kHz steps, it may be audible as a het without this procedure, e.g. Saudi 1521 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---