[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 8-14, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 8-14, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 740, Nov 10 at 0218 UT, atop KRMG OK is an ad for something in Cambridge, 519-area code, therefore CFZM Toronto with its 50 kW U1 advantage via CBL transmitter (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LITENING DIGEST)

===============

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 800, Nov 8 circa 0410 UT, on I-35 near Edmond, I find that KQCV OKC English religion is getting buried by XEROK Ciudad Juárez in Spanish. This is not too surprising, considering that XEROK is 150 kW ND, while KQCV is 1 kW at night direxional protecting XEROK. Yet as far away as Enid I can pick either one by nulling the other, but no way to do that on the caradio. At least they are close to zero-beat (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1590, Nov 7 at 1849 UT, KWEY Weatherford barely audible with local mention. This was around Okarche OK on the road. I can`t hear it in Enid, and had suspected it was off the air, so was tuned to 1590 as heading south on US 81; once KVGB Great Bend KS could no longer be heard on groundwave, still nothing for a while. And shortly after exiting Okarche, which is NW of OKC, on SH 3 toward OKC, losing KWEY again. That`s because of their efficient 2-tower direxional pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/314389-23611.pdf
which has nulls toward 00-05, and 75 degrees, but a very broad pattern covering from NW to SE, peaking at 220 degrees. 1 kW day, 32 watts night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, Nov 8 circa 0410-0420 UT on I-35 between Edmond and Guthrie, KZLS ``Hennessey-OKC`` with True Oldies suffers heavy rapid SAH and QRM from presumed WTNI in Biloxi MS, which must still be on day power of 10 kW instead of 1 kW. It wouldn`t be nearly so bad if the two stations could be zero-beat. (As far as I can tell, KZLS is on-frequency, or very close, compared to other carriers in the daytime.) KZLS has the same problem along US 81 on the other side of OKC, despite its unusual direxional pattern with a lobe toward OKC. Altho that is legal, perhaps WTNI is illegally retaliating for KZLS causing them more QRM than it would otherwise near Biloxi (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Nov 14 at 0620 UT, open carrier/dead air from KZLS, so I can hear ``ESPN 98.7`` thru it, I think that being their New York frequency altho this is certainly WTNI in Biloxi MS. Unknown for how long dead, as it`s late, and leaving the volume up would be risky (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A [and non]. 580, Sunday Nov 10 at 1305-1308 UT, after CBS news and WIBW Topeka ID, President`s weekly address, about honoring veterans. Traces of XEMU Spanish in background. Followed by ad, not Republican rebuttal, tho WIBW surely runs that at some other time. Finding Presidential address is tough as it`s so short, presumably originally airing about 24 hours earlier on Saturdays, up to every station`s scheduling whims. Maybe different networks re-availablize it at different times (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. 650, Nov 11 at 0215 UT, hardly any signal from WSM, instead XETNT, Radio K, mentioning Guasave and Los Mochis, and also when nulled, English talk, probably KGAB WY. Seems more than just a temp fade from WSM; something wrong there? Or strange propagation, not exactly auroral as further north stations such as CFZM 740 are in well (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, Nov 11 at 1316 UT, C&W music from N/S, whence? It was ``After the War`` from 1993y, really the Mark Davis show, says he recorded it himself at an event, followed by cheers, so not just a talkshow; then DFW traffic from ``660 AM The Answer`` = KSKY The Metroplex (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 790, Nov 8 at 0706 UT, trying to pull something out of the pileup, including someone asserting ``Oklahoma is finished`` (i.e. in football? I hope, since that is inconsequential), ID in passing from another sounds like WGYY. Make that a probable WAYY in Eau Claire WI (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Nov 11 at 1312 UT, country music, plug searching for Y105-5 on some smartphone app, from east/west. No doubt it`s the recent move-in to Memphis TN, now known as WUMY; http://y1055.com/ mentions they are also on AM 830. 105.5 is the tail wagging the dog, really just a translator per NRC AM Log, W288BJ, with the 830 address still way off in Poplar Bluff MO, not even adjacent AR. Yet they are calling 105.5 ``WUMY`` with a coverage map which is really pretty small: http://y1055.com/advertise/  Another search on the WUMY brand at the y1055.com website leads to ``WUMY-FM (the "Station") owned and operated by Mighty Media, LP, 230-2 Goodman Road East, Suite 202, Southaven, MS 38671``. So it`s multi-state (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Nov 11 at 0220 UT, New Orleans Advocate ad, apparently black newspaper; Crimestoppers PSA on a specific murder; ad for the Audubon Insectarium, providing various bugs for cuisine. Is this a put-on? Maybe not for Cajuns, hi. I thought they said ``Ottoman``! See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audubon_Butterfly_Garden_and_Insectarium

Then mentions am940.com --- wow, they got the most generic URL, leading to ``WYLD for Jesus``, which per NRC AM Log is 10000/500 watts U4, ``Amen 940``. Both day and nite patterns have lobes to the northwest. Dominant signal now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Nov 8 at 0412 UT, ``Indian Lake`` tune, 0414 KZQZ 1430 ID, St Louis MO. This was on the caradio, I-35 near Edmond OK, KZQZ remarkably able to dominate the frequency on whip car antenna, unlike the other regional channels 1250 and up, masses of skywave QRM from all direxions.

Oh, oh, no way KZQZ could do this on 5 kW night pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1513373-119319.pdf
which has deep null toward us, major lobe to the NNW, minor to the SSE. But look at the 50 kW day pattern:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1513373-119318.pdf
which has broad lobes ENE/WSW (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Nov 9 at 0153 UT, KZQZ St Louis is again dominating this crowded regional channel with classic rock from the northeast, like it was last night on the caradio; surely still on 50 kW day pattern favoring us, rather than 5 kW nite pattern with a null toward us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1430, Nov 12 at 0110 UT, KZQZ St Louis is still VG and managing to dominate the crowded regional channel with classic rock, surely on 50 kW day pattern aimed at us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Nov 8 at 2140 UT, ``Downtown`` by Petula is playing; what`s this? Don`t normally hear music in English here. Loops roughly east-west, mixing with sports about Cincinnati --- wait: at 2143 into a country-rock tune, and it`s ``ESPN Radio`` which is playing songs, i.e. WCKY! What`s this? It`s a lot easier to find cheesecake than a plain old program schedule at http://www.espn1530.com  Anyhow, the hi-band mid-afternoon skywave is ramping up as Sol sinx closer to the horizon (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, Nov 12 at 0113 UT, I find I can almost totally null local KGWA tnx to a stronger than usual signal at that critical point --- sports talk mentioning TCU football, call from a coach, 866-485-7042, which I took to be the toll-free call-in number for this show, but searching on that leads to nothing but a 2005 page for Golf Gifts Fore U in Lagrange IN. As it faded into the QRM before ads, gave some network ID. Doesn`t fit with KGKL San Angelo programming, altho a Texan would be most likely. KMA Shenandoah IA at least has a program schedule, http://www.kmaland.com/site/broadcast_schedule.html
with minute-by-minute details --- until 6:30 pm when it becomes vague (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1100, Nov 11 at 1303 UT, road work reports concerning Decatur Drive, Lakeshore Drive, Martin Luther King Drive, in Bloomington, also mentions counties: DeWitt, Livingston, McLean. 1305 into Christian song. Those streets and especially counties lead not to Chicago, but to the Bloomington, Illinois area. Trouble is, there is no 1100 station anywhere around there (nor Bloomington IN). Loops about east/west. Suspect it is just my nearest 1100, KKLL in Webb City (Joplin) MO, somehow relaying off-topic programming from the IL city.

I`ve yet to find any connexion confirming this. KKLL is owned by the New Life Evangelistic Center, address in St Louis MO, and their closest IL station is WINU 870 in Shelbyville, a bit too far from Bloomington. No NLEC listed at FCC as licensee of any Bloomington IL AM or FM station. If it weren`t for the three counties, I would go hunting at several other Bloomingtons in the USA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)