Re: [IRCA] QRM Problem

Hi Nick - thanks for asking about the noise problem I was having. Yes, for the most part I am happy with the overall noise level now. I replaced the loop with a new 1530S+, and that cut down a good chunk of it (I can't refer to S units or dB because the darn ICF2010 doesn't have an actual S-meter, but this step reduced average noise by 1 or 2 'LED Units'). Then I replaced the rotator cable with a shielded one, and voila another 1 or 2 'LED units'. I also changed the position of the loop on my lot, and even though it's now in the middle of the forest and downslope (therefore lower) than where it used to be, another couple of LED units disappeared, I suspect because it's farther from the house by 5 or 6 metres. Of course it's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back, and with all this wonderful QRM reduction I noticed a horrendous 120 Hz hum coming from the FL3, so I built a really skookum AC line filter that John Bryant had up on DXing.info, which completely knocked that out. T!
 here is also 1 circuit on the electric panel that has the outdoor motion sensors (I'm pretty sure it's these) on it that I keep permanently turned off, although my wife is not entirely pleased with this solution because it also means we have no front porch light or entry hall lights...I'll be working on this sometime soon I suspect.

Long and short though is that it's fun listening again, and while my time at the dials is still somewhat limited right now because of work and house renos, I enjoy what time I get. I'm thinking about putting up a couple of Pennants when I get a chance, as I'd like a bigger capture area than the loop can provide, and from what I can tell these would be good in my poor ground conductivity location.

Thanks again for your help!

Michael