Re: [IRCA] good portable receiver for DXing

Re: [IRCA] good portable receiver for DXing

I have a Tecsun PL-660 as mentioned by somebody on one of the lists... my particular sample isn't quite as sensitive on MW or (especially) LW as I would like, but I'm able to boost signal levels pretty easily with a Quantum Stick+.  Note that you unless you dig into the radio and modify it, you can ONLY inductively-couple... the ext-antenna input doesn't work below 1700 kHz.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right the same thing is true of the Sony ICF-7600GR (which I also own).  Both of these models have synchronous-detection capability, and the Sony is definitely sensitive enough on LW & MW to allow reception of Euro splits here in Missouri (when conditions are really "up," of course).  I don't think anybody's mentioned the 7600GR yet--it's not the high-performance DX machine the ICF-2010 was, but IMO it comes close, and at least it's still available new (and warrantied). Both it and the Tecsun are well under $200--the Sony's a bit more expensive.  Both are highl!
 y sensitive on SW, good selectivity, fairly stable for sideband reception, but both are mediocre at best on FM.  But as Bob says that's not a priority for him, so all is well.
Randy Stewart
Arts Producer
KSMU
901 S. National