Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Cape Perpetua) Ultralight TP's & DU's for 8-18

Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Cape Perpetua) Ultralight TP's & DU's for 8-18

Hi Gary,

I always enjoy seeing your DXing reports, and listening to the audio files. :)

I was thinking, though.  I would love to see a video of an actual DX session.  It would be interesting to me to see how you do it. :)  Would something like that be possible?

I'd also like to see a couple barefoot vs with-FSL comparisons, preferably with BF-copyable signals. I wonder if it'd exceed the boost given by a SAT + utility pole groundwire?  A couple times I've taken a ~28 dBu signal, and briefly seen ~98 dBu (causing fleeting clipping, done by holding the radio at antenna in wrong orientation then quickly flipping right side up) before desense dropped it to the 80s or so.  How would the FSL or 9-foot air loop compare?

My next DU DX catch will be my first, as will my next Russian longwave catch. (For the latter, not having a suitable antenna, and having deaf radios that are barely above 15 dBu on a 302kHz DGPS station 17 miles away do not help.)  It'd be a bit tough for me to travel very far, though, to do it.  If I could go maybe 30 miles from home, which is a better environment - go to the desert/mountains where the strongest signals are the 50kW skywaves (a few of which approach 55-60+ dBu barefoot) and the strongest groundwaves are below 40 dBu? Or, go to the coast in the populated/RF-saturated city area, where maybe 20+ stations are 60+ dBu and 4-5 may be 84-88 dBu?

So far my best catches, I'm thinking, are...
1575 VOA from ~8500 miles one morning last year, splattered upon by two 50kW 1580s within 300 miles, and
594 JOAK from ~57-5800 miles a few years ago, out from under local 5kW IBOC-spewing 600 KOGO less than 8 miles west. :)
I'd love to be able to get some DUs and improve on those. :) Bonus points for them being near-frequency to some strong locals, like 600, 690, 760, 910, 1130, 1170, 1360, 1470. :)

73, Stephen