[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight TP's for 11-12

[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight TP's for 11-12

Hello All,

Thanks to Richard, Dennis, Bill and Nick for their interesting TP-DXing reports this morning. A severe wind storm hit the Cannon Beach area yesterday as a new weather system blew in from the Pacific, making the 400' Rockwork Cliff a very risky area. This morning was the last possible day for TP-DXing during my trip, though, so I was determined to give it a shot if at all possible. As it turned out the severe wind died down just before I got to the cliff at 1300 UTC, but the severe rain had just begun. Although the TP-DXing session was another success, the pounding rain raised havoc with the DXpedition gear-- temporarily taking out the 8" FSL, the ICF-2010 SSB spotting receiver, the 7.5" MW loopstick PL-380 and even the backup C.Crane SWP Slider portable.

738-Radio Polynesie made a very strong appearance on the Cliff around 1330 with French OM audio, just before thunderous rain took out the FSL antenna and SSB spotting receiver. Lack of the FSL was a deal-breaker, so I went inside the car and used the "Rob Ross method" (blowing hot air all over the antenna from the car heater) to rejuvenate it.  The SSB receiver's LED display was on the blink because of heavy rain, so I needed to tune the FSL by the PL-380's audio response (at least until rain took out the PL-380 itself, at 1400). The backup C.Crane SWP Slider model received very vibrant signals from both 639-CNR1 and 648-VOR after 1500, along with the DXpedition's first appearance of 675-VOV (mixing with the 5 kW Japanese NHK1 synchros, of course).  As the TP-DX was fizzling out around 1530 the backup C.Crane SWP Slider was also fizzling out because of the rain-- but it suddenly rejuvenated itself around 1545 (when the band was practically dead). For those wondering why ther!
 e was no umbrella set up at the site, it was because there was still enough stiff wind at the Cliff to blow away any such item.

So the 3-day "Rockwork" ocean cliff DXpedition was wrapped up in a typically wild manner. As of now, all of the soaked DXpedition gear has fully recovered from the rain except for the 7.5" MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380-- which may need both full disassembly, and the "Rob Ross" treatment. Once again, these Oregon cliffs maintained their unbroken record for excellent TP-DXing propagation every day (currently 15 out of 15 days). A full DXpedition report should be posted soon, including MP3's from the 10 different TP's that managed to peg the PL-380's S/N reading during this "Rockwork" ocean cliff trip.

639-CNR1  China Synchros  Strong male-female Chinese
          speech and brief interval music around 1507
          http://www.mediafire.com/?iotp9x4j5npg3jt

648-VOR  Razdolnoye, Russia  Strong Korean male-female
         speech during external program at 1525
         http://www.mediafire.com/?umlydm10wg8t06k

675-VOV  My Hao, Vietnam  Fair YL speech mixing with NHK1
         synchros (JOVK etc.) around 1447
         http://www.mediafire.com/?g0ne16d5ts4hsm6

738  Radio Polynesie  Mahina, Tahiti  Good French YL and
        OM speech and music at 1330 (its best signal of the trip)
        http://www.mediafire.com/?skah9u1qir9mman

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at the "Rockwork" 400' cliff in Oregon)
7.5" MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380, 7.5" MW loopstick
       C.Crane SWP Slider
8" "DXpedition" FSL: antenna