Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-29

Hi Guy,

It's great that you could enjoy TP-DXing during this morning's exceptional conditions, and thanks for sharing your catches!

<<<    Did you not catch 1593 kHz? The Chinese station here was in at a good level
and was the first to alert me to decent TP conditions.   >>>

Actually I ran out of time to go after all the second-tier Chinese stations this morning, and 1593-CNR1 probably would have been there if I had checked for it. Human nature for a live Ultralight radio DXer is probably to start off DXing at 530 kHz and go up in frequency from there-- leading to some lopsided low-band DXpedition results on the Oregon cliffs. Your Perseus-SDR also has far more effective filtering than my $50 Tecsun PL-380, which can make a serious difference on a frequency like 1593 kHz (with a Seattle semi-local blasting away only 3 kHz down :-)

<<<    I was surprised to hear audio on 558; I see from your logs that it was the Korean on the
frequency.   >>>

Yes, 558-HLQH had its best audio of the season here this morning with strong Korean pop music, although it never fully escaped the 560-KPQ splatter. For the first time this season it was giving Wenatchee a pretty good fight, instead of showing up with wispy audio, and a weak 2 kHz heterodyne.

<<<   Nick and the guys on PEI must be having a lot of fun!   >>>

Yes, we will all be interested to read their report. It's pretty amazing how they chose these prime propagation dates for their DXpedition-- especially after Chuck, Bruce, Tom and Walt chose one of the best TP-DXing dates of the entire season (October 6th) for their own DXpeditions. At least temporarily, we can all remember the awesome DXing conditions of Fall 2009 :-)

73, Gary DeBock (across town, in the flood-prone Puyallup River valley)