From: Guy Atkins <dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 8:05 pm
Subject: [IRCA] TP DX for October 24, 2012

Pickings were rather bleak by the time I got to the receivers this morning,
1420-1440 UTC.

I noted occasional, very weak audio on 972 kHz, too faint to ID the
language (almost always Korean from HLCA however). In addition I had weak
Japanese audio on 747 JOIB Sapporo.

That's it... two stations in audio and no other carriers found  :^(

I wish my nearby DXing pal Gary and I both lived in the Puyallup valley! I
think the fertile valley soil and better ground conductivity of the
Puyallup "lowlands" contribute to his reception that is often better
towards Asia. He's also closer to salt water Puget Sound but I'm not sure
it's near enough to be of real benefit. I live on a rocky ridge to the east
about 150 ft. above the valley, and I think this accounts much more for the
regular differences in our DX reception than the four miles between us.

One thing we have in common-- neither one of us seems to be able to snag a
DU signal from home! It takes a DXpedition trip to the coast to accomplish
that.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Perseus SDR / AR7030+ mod.