[IRCA] TP Oct 8, 2012 / Victoria version

[IRCA] TP Oct 8, 2012 / Victoria version

The geomagnetic upset definitely had an effect this morning. At 1330UT and through to a few minutes before 1400, it was pretty dead, then signals starting popping in before 1400UT, with a sudden jump at 1401UT. Very little was strong, but what there was seemed to favor New Zealand. There certainly wasn't a hint of East Asia. At first I thought maybe I had a couple of stations in Tagalog (765 and 603), but then I was wondering if they weren't Maori, which would be consistent with New Zealand listings. So I nosed around the recordings, and have two new Maori loggings as a result.

pretty darn good audio (all of it understandable by a native speaker, at least
briefly):

612 4QR sudden jump in level on this one about 1411UT, pop vocal mx //702

reasonable audio  at  times during the period (much of it understandable by a
native speaker, though often battling w/splash or noise):

567 NZ R. National. The most consistent station this morning, at 1404UT, man reading sports nx, ID'd by parallels on other channels.

not so reasonable audio, occasional words or phrases in splash or noise could be
understood by a native speaker:

765 Radio Kahungunu, with man talking 1402UT, one of the ones I thought might be Tagalog. (I'm hardly a linguist in Maori or Tagalog). ID'd at 1409 by //603.

Burbles in the splatter and noise (if lucky, language might be guessed at by
cadence of talk, or parallel established by changes in talk or music) :

603 R Waatea 1409, quite weak; first thought was DU EE by man, second thought was Tagalog, third thought was maybe Maori? Checked the recording, and parallel established as 765 faded up by 1410UT, very slightly delayed, as woman started talking. Very pleasant surprise.
675 RNZ National, 1358 jazz //567
702 2BL woman talking then man at 1358UT; similar tradeoff a moment before on 774, but that had faded down. Finally a parallel (with slight offset) established as woman reading nx started at 1401UT 738 1405UT, might have been man in DU EE, but weak, and no ABC parallels available just then
756 RNZ National, 1358 jazz //567
774 3LO 1400, pretty sure of this, ABC pips followed by fanfare, and what could be "ABC news" by woman, cadence was correct
819 RNZ National, 1356 jazz instrumental //567
828 man talking quickly to a climax 1406UT, then pulsing mx; first thought was horse racing, though that is supposed to finished at 1200UT on R. Trackside?
936 unID vocal mx in splatter 1401UT

Strongish het, no audio (either undermodulated or ravaged by splatter):

....think I cleaned up most of the stronger ones with finding spots with weak audio. Only the lower band had any reasonable carriers.

best wishes,

Nick