[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight DU's for 8-20

[IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight DU's for 8-20

Hello All,

Thanks to Dennis for his DU report this morning-- a very interesting comparison. After scouting out all of the sheer ocean side cliffs on Highway 101 south of Cannon Beach (OR) I was finally able to choose my dream DXing venue just south of the border between Clatsop and Tillamook Counties-- a Highwy 101 roadside turnoff blasted out of a cliff with a nearly a 90 degree angle to the ocean below. My own name for this spot is "Rockwork 4," which is the third turnoff south of the large "Rockwork" turnoff overlooking the Pacific at the northern edge of the Oswalt West State Park (where I set up a year ago with FSL's and Ultralights).

The DU-DXing results this early morning proved that this site is at least the propagation equal of Cape Perpetua last month, which provided some legendary New Zealand propagation. Around 1245 UTC some monster Kiwi signals began to roll in on the 8" FSL and hot-rodded PL-380 Ultralight, with 531-PI coming close to pegging the S/N at 25, while both the low-powered 594-NZ Rhema network and 603-Radio Waatea actually did peg it at 25. Wild New Zealand propagation continued until about 1315, when they tamed down a little and some Aussie big guns started to boom in. 576-RN hit the 25 S/N level with jazz music around 1325, and 774-3LO also came close to doing so. I was lucky to confirm an 828-3GI parallel with 774-3LO around this time, and both 1116 and 1503 were producing good audio. Unfortunately the Aussie X-banders never seemed to get out of the gate this morning, and the only semi-exotic DU to produce good audio was apparently 558-Radio Fiji One (playing island-type music, but no longer with any // frequency to confirm identity).

Longwave DXing results were equally wild at this 400 foot + cliff site, with the aeronautical beacon 238-KT in northern New Zealand producing a very vibrant signal around 1230 UTC to break the Ultralight NDB-DXing distance record. Four Alaskan TWEB beacons were maxing out the S/N display at 25 this early morning (209-CYT, 251-OSE, 385-OCC and 394-RWO), as were 153 and 279-Radio Rossii.180-Rossii and 189-Rossii were fair, and 234-Rossii was poor. All in all, a very exciting morning-- and with four more days of this, the new FSL's should really get a thorough workout.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Cannon Beach, OR)