Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] How do you keep track of your DX Loggings for AM, FM etc?

Re: [IRCA] [Amdx] How do you keep track of your DX Loggings for AM, FM etc?

James already knows the answer for me, but for others I'll pick it up. I started with individual 3 x 5" index cards for each station heard. That got me through my time DX'ing in Northern NJ, but when I re-started about 6 years after moving here, I switched to a Lotus spreadsheet format, then later to Excel, and now with some help from James and several others, I use Access, and I agree with everything he's said about it.

While I track my recorded logs as well as my verifications in the database, I don't link them, mostly because it would be a lot of effort to do, and I don't see much of a benefit. My recordings are mostly in mp3 format although I do still have about 10% of my NJ recordings still on reel to reel tape which will ultimately also be converted to mp3.

I capture frequency, calls, city, state, country, date and time of reception, description of the details heard, whether recorded or veried, and slogan as applicable. Each entry also indicates each first-time logging so that I can use that to produce reports.

My FM log went into Access first ( for FM I also capture distance and grid square ) owing to a smaller number of logs and less variation in how I'd maintained them previously, and it's much easier to work with. The AM is partially into Access, and should be all the way there within another month or so.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>