[IRCA] Intro/Reintro

Phil Bytheway here. Just a few words re my
activities.

I am 59, live in Seattle WA, and have been
DXing since 1968 when I entered a contest in Jr High to see how far I could
hear on the AM band. Didn’t win, of course, but I did catch the “DX bug” as
well as about 5 stations outside the Seattle area. The contest also included
info on how to contact stations I heard to get a “QSL’. Naturally, I started
writing to stations with program details and eventually I wrote to KOB-Albuquerque.

This verification request was “gathered” by
the Don Erickson of IRCA and I received a sample in the mail. Naturally, I was
a bit shocked to learn that there were many DXers and a weekly bulletin… so,
naturally, I joined up. This resulted in my acquisition of a “Realistic TRF”
and a “Space Magnet” antenna which I used for many years. Eventually, once I
got more money, hi, I progressed through various receivers and antennas. Today
I am using a Drake R-7 and KIWA loop as my primary DX combination, occasionally
using an R-390A or R-392 with the KIWA loop.

However, due to my current work situation,
most of my DXing is being done in my car to and from work. Obviously, during
the spring and summer months, not much is done, but in the winter I usually get
an hour or so in each day. Mostly graveyard DX… certainly no “nulling” hi.

I have also tried DXing with various
Ultralight receivers which work pretty well in my car while waiting for the
ferry each morning and afternoon (when I’m not driving).

I have a fascination with antennas and
occasionally experiment with loops and longwires. Current project is to see how
well an inductively coupled FSL antenna works with the R-7. Summer months is
not the best time to do this… so no great conclusions until this fall. Thanks
to Gary DeBock, I have a 4” FSL to use until the 3” FSL I am constructing is
completed.

I am currently the editor of the “Geomagnetic Indices” column in IRCA/NRC
as well as “Confirmed DXer” column
in DXN. I have been reformatting various columns for DXM as well (CRN, DXWW-W and
some DXpedition reports).

Other
hobbies include collection radio promo items (mostly stickers). I have a
collection of over 35,000 different stations (AM & FM – US and Canada) as
well as an equivalent number of traders. So… if any of you folks have any “extra”
stickers you don’t want, I would be happy to purchase, trade for them. Just
contact me “off list” at phil.bytheway@xxxxxxxxxx
I publish the “DecalcoMania” bulletin
10 times/year for radio promo collectors (paper or email sample upon request – pfalz_d3@xxxxxxxxx).

Non radio hobbies include collecting and
building WWI aircraft… although I rarely have enough time to do this… I’m sorta
in the “acquisition” mode right now. I also play co-ed flag football once a
week (3 gals/5 guys on a team). I’ve had a passion for football since High
School.

I trust everyone will have a great upcoming
DX season and please remember to contribute what you are hearing to the
IRCA/NRC or the various e-Groups. This sharing of information is the best way
to help other DXers hear what you are hearing… especially the timing aspect.

Best of DX
 Phil Bytheway

IRCA Bookstore
Seattle WA