[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, March 11-18, 2012

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, March 11-18, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO [and non]. 580, March 12 at 0601 UT, ``La Rancherita del Aire`` full ID with an FM ending in .7, i.e. XEMU Piedras Negras, Coahuila, strong enough vs WIBW in the opposite direxion.

720, March 12 at 0235 UT, auroral conditions facilitate XEDE Saltillo, Coahuila to continue dominating frequency vs little if anything from WGN. Usual automated music format with time check, ``La Kaliente`` and temperature at every break.

780 also had an XE rather than WBBM; at 0240, 890 dominated by ``La Nueva Radio Cristiana``, i.e. cheater KVOZ Laredo. Is this OK with God?

830, March 12 at 0239 UT, Mexican music, rather than WCCO, too far up into the auroral zone; 0300 ID as Radio Capital, 25 mil watts, i.e. XEITE México DF which is supposed to cut to only 5 mil at night

1090, March 12 at 0245 UT, M&W in Spanish from SSW, 0247 discussing Real Madrid (do they really care about Spanish soccer in México?), 0259 break as ``Milenio Noticias``, ``Milenio Televisión`` no radio ID, but it`s XEAU Monterrey carrying this TV soundtrack, supposed to be 250 watts night, 5000 day. Heavy IBOC noise from KRLD 1080 avoided by tuning to 1088 (yes, toward KRLD, since the IBOC peaks around 13 kHz above and below the center channel). (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 750, March 13 at 0600 UT, a Mexican had been audible in WSB null and now IDs as ``La Huasteca``, also mentioning Veracruz, i.e. XETI, Tempoal, listed as 250 watts night, 10 kW day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, March 12 at 0250 UT, KSL is still getting IBOC QRM, but not from KFAQ 1170. The noise peaks E/W as if it were from 1170, but there isn`t any on 1180+, nor is there any strong signal on 1150 E/W which might cause it (KSAL dominates N/S). The noise seems to spread 3 kHz on both sides of 1160 itself. I continue to wonder if KSL`s own IBOC is way out of adjustment. Who cares in SLC, where they can hear it on FM? Barry`s roster of IBOC,
http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html
shows nothing at all from 1150, and off both 1170s, KFAQ and WWVA (not that we would ever hear WWVA beyond Tulsa) (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, March 13 at 2015 UT in the daytime, IBOC noise is back around KFAQ Tulsa after missing for more than a month. Maybe this is what I was really getting at night on KSL 1160 even tho I could not hear any on the other side of 1170 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, March 14 at 1652 UT, I am lucky enough to turn on the car radio checking KFAQ Tulsa for IBOC, finding no such buzz on 1160 or 1180, when at 1653, 1170 cuts off the air for a few sex! Comes back on and now the IBOC is running along with it. Later chex indicate it now comes and goes on KFAQ. It was also on at 1238 March 15 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Today`s local sunrise in Enid is 1240 UT, and growing more than a minute earlier each day as we head for equinox, but before it`s too late for some sunrise skip, I check high-end MW starting at 1306:

1470, March 16 at 1306 UT, weather highs in 80s, lows in 60s, on ``14-70, KYYW``, i.e. 5 kW from Abilene TX: had to look it up; 1470 will always be KRBC to me.

1210, March 16 at 1311 UT, ``Dakota Country weather``, high 80, lo 52 but now it`s 37 at KOKK, 1312 into ``statewide news``. Dominating here from north, and very little signal from westerly KGYN Guymon OK: could they really be on night pattern nulling Philadelphia in the daytime? At night they are usually on day pattern, not nulling. KOKK is 5 kW from Huron SD (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Enid sunrise today 1239 UT, just as I start checking MW:

660, March 17 at 1238 UT, Dineh talk, quite incomprehensible, nary a cognate or English word intruding that I could detect, but at 1241 back to English with McDonald`s ad, Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealer in Flagstaff AZ, KTNN singing ID, into country song in English. Since the sun is just rising here, it`s got to be way before sunrise a megameter to the west, so KTNN is obviously on non-direxional day pattern instead of nulling toward New York; unlike e.g. KKOB 770 in Albuquerque (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, March 18 at 1240 UT, again today around sunrise here, KTNN Window Rock AZ has good dominant signal, during Farmers Insurance, Western Union ads in English, KTNN jingle. Official sunrise in March not until 1330 UT; until then should be nulling New York altho hardly likely to bother WFAN much east of here in full daytime. I wonder if KTNN is confused by DST for the rest of March, switching off night pattern at 1230 UT (6:30 am MDT) instead of 1330 UT (7:30 am MDT = 6:30 am MST), since the rest of AZ beyond the Res is on MST? Or maybe it`s just staying on day pattern as reported previously (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, March 17 at 1258 UT, Fox Sports Radio with a bit of Irish reel music, wonder why? Loops NW/SE on the DX-398 with green display panel. Must be KDZA Pueblo CO, but supposed to be on PSRA power of only 180 watts until 1315 UT in March, instead of full 1300 watt day power. Why isn`t it 5000? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, March 18 at 0528 UT, Denver ads, 303 area code dominant from NW, little signal from easterly WLAC, so it`s KCKK Littleton CO, now that anomalous station which *increases* from 10 kW day to 25 kW night, but with tighter direxional pattern at night, deep nulls toward Nashville and Spokane, and very little supposed to come our way either, with major lobes at 30 and 205 degrees:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1283677-105685.pdf
So is the pattern out of whack? (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 750, March 18 at 1243-1249 UT just after sunrise here, a very long adstring, all of them national with no local clues, and of course then fading down. Loops E/W vs N/S growing signal from KMMJ Nebraska with preaching in English. A bit late for WSB even to have a remnant; KHWG in Fallon NV has been reported a lot as on day power/pattern at night, so that might be penetrating from the darkside. Other possibility is KBNN, 5 kW in Lebanon MO, but really unseemed from NE/SW. Eastward KRMG 740 Tulsa already on 50 kW day pattern causing lots of splash QRM; helped a little to offtune to 752 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)