[IRCA] Congratulations to Rob Ross-- 1000 Stations Received on Ultralight Radios

[IRCA] Congratulations to Rob Ross-- 1000 Stations Received on Ultralight Radios

Hello All,

Back in December of 2007, in order to express thanks to Colin Newell
(of DXer.Ca) for publishing my quirky SRF-59 review, I came up with a
strange idea to send out a few free SRF-59 samples to any Canadians
that wanted one. The idea was to spread the interest in Ultralight
radio DXing north of the border, since it already seemed to have quite
a foothold in western Washington state. At the time seven Canadian
DXers responded with a request, and seven of the basic analog
Ultralights headed north, into the cold Canadian winter.

The seven SRF-59 Ultralights ended up in various locations from
Victoria, B.C. to London, Ontario, but by far the most successful one
was the radio received by Rob Ross, who practically ran it into the
ground by receiving over 300 stations with it before the month of
January 2008 was over (less than 30 days of usage). At the time ULR
DXers were regarded as somewhat fanatical kooks, using tiny pocket
radios with no real hope of any serious, long-range DXing success. Rob
single-handedly changed that impression by receiving serious DX with
his barefoot, $18 SRF-59... including several stations in South
America. He was a one-man DXing tornado, stunning both the ULR and
table-receiving communities with his accomplishments. Within 30 days he
managed to change our reputation from a group of kooks into the hottest
new phenomena in AM-DXing, with repercussions that continue to this
day. Because of Rob's success, Canada became a hotbed of ULR DXing
activity-- and I was delighted to repeat the free-sample offer to
Canadians a few months later with the Sony SRF-39FP prison radios-- one
of which wound up with another phenomenal Canadian DXer, Allen Willie
of Newfoundland. The Canadian connection with ULR DXing has been unique
 from the very beginning-- and if not for guys like Colin, Rob and
Allen, we never would have gotten off of the ground.

Rob has been at the forefront of ULR DXing success not only in AM
results, but also in Longwave, both in International Broadcast and
NDB-DXing. I recently had the pleasure (?) of competing with Rob in
chasing Longwave beacons throughout the cold winter (losing, of course,
but having a blast in the process!). Anyway, Rob, you have been a
Master Ultralight DXer for the past 4 years, and a great inspiration to
us all. Congratulations on tracking down station #1000 (an awesome one,
at that), and thanks again for your outstanding contributions to our
Ultralight Radio community!

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX
Puyallup, WA, USA
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder