[IRCA] ANCHORAGE DX

Just came back from five days in Anchorage (three days of meetings and two days of play, including snowmobiling, dog sledding, visiting a musk ox farm and watching the ceremonial start of the Iditarod and the annual reindeer run). Too much!

I would like to say DX was phenomenal but that was not the case. I had the Tecsun 300 up against the hotel room window and could hear 550 590 650 700 750 920 1020 1080 1110 1140 - and one other on 1430. This would appear to be KWAP Wasilla which was licensed on 1/24/12. The signal was only audible at night. On 3/3 at 9pm local time, it was noted with GCN Radio Network programming and a mention of Alex Jones but there was no ID. The GCN web site does not provide an affiliate list. Perhaps KWAP is testing.

While tracking this through the FCC database, I noted a CP for 50/10kw on 1540 in Anchorage. It is not on. While off topic, I noted a smooth jazz station in Anchorage on 87.7 which ID'ed as KNRK.

Anchorage has had 121" of snow this season, 8" short of tying the all-time record. Mt. Denali (McKinley) was visible on several days.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010