[IRCA] Classical music on 1260

Isn't 1260 Beverly Hills (Los Angeles),CA, back to programming classical music?  I think their calls may be KMZT (K-Mozart) again, too.  They were KGIL the last I heard about them.  I'm going down there for a short vacation with my girlfriend next week so I'll tune in and see what they are doing.

DX has been fun here as of late.  I've gotten two new ones:  KROE 930 Sheridan, Wyoming on sunrise skip, and KMZQ 670 Las Vegas at night in KBOI's null while looking for WSCR Chicago.  My favorite time to DX recently has been 0700 Pacific (1000 ELT) just after getting off work at my overnight shift at the hospital in Post Falls, Idaho, 25 miles east of Spokane.  I seemed to have a pipeline to Wyoming a few days ago which allowed me to hear KROE.  I also heard KHAT 1210, KPOW 1260, and KIML 1270.  I'm pretty sure KTWO 1030 was in, too, but they are a pest for me at night.

In spite of relatively close distance, Wyoming is a difficult state to DX from Spokane except for KTWO.  I'm happy that I've managed to hear 10 stations from there this season, which is a record for me.  My most wanted from there now is KWTY 1470.  With 500 watts non-directional at night, I would think they would show up sometime, in spite of stiff competition from KELA(WA), CJVB(BC), and KBSN(WA) on day pattern.  KBSN is a former employer that I worked at in 1976-77 when they were KSEM.

By coincidence, I'm in Moses Lake, home of KBSN, visiting my girlfriend.  It's strange spending time in Moses Lake again as in some ways it's like it was in 1977, but in other ways it's very different.  The town has grown from 11,000 people to 20,000 in that time, and spread out considerably in area.  The mightly twin towers of 1470 on Marsh Island, right next to Interstate 90, are still shining brightly, even though some vandals knocked them down once about ten years ago.

Their only AM competition, KWIQ, was a daytimer on 1260 back then and is now full-time on 1020 with a sports format //KKRT 900 Wenatchee,WA.  KBSN is newstalk.  In 1977, KBSN was soft rock and KWIQ was country//FM 100.3 which is still country.  KBSN now has an FM, KDRM 99.3, which is Top 40 rock, which is essentially the format KSEM had in 1977.  The FM antenna is on one of the previously mentioned twin towers.

Curiously, I never KWIQ 1260 from Spokane (105 miles east) but 1020 is commonly heard there.

Stan Weisbeck
Spokane,WA (OK, Moses Lake at the moment)