Re: [IRCA] For DXers targetting 1700-XEPE ....

Re: [IRCA] For DXers targetting 1700-XEPE ....

I decided to try to hear what Tim Tromp heard in West Michigan on Saturday
morning-- the Mexican National Anthem played on 1700 kHz at 0800 EST  or
1300 UTC. Sure enough, Monday morning at 1256 UTC I heard a weak  but
unmistakable playing of the Mexican NA on that frequency, although  like Tim I could
hear no other IDable material that I could link to XEPE..

The assumption that this is XEPE has merit. Not only is XEPE the only
Mexican station on 1700, but 1300 UTC corresponds to 5 AM PST. By regulation all
 Mexican stations must play the National Anthem at midnight and 5 AM local
time, so this station was performing its regulatory obligation by playing
it  then. Baja California state, location of XEPE, is the only state in
Mexico in  the Pacific time zone.

Thank you for the tip, Tim!
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI

In a message dated 1/15/2012 8:39:29 A.M. Central Standard Time,