[IRCA] My MW experiences from Masset (TPs and TAs)

[IRCA] My MW experiences from Masset (TPs and TAs)

Hi, Steve (and everyone at the IRCA)!  My first time with email access
since the 22nd.  I'm way up north at my DX cottage.  I agree today fizzled
out badly.  The lower half of the band was actually quite good, with the
NHK1 on 531 really coming in well, compared to usual.  Above somewhere
between 800 and 900 kHz, though, things really attenuated on all signals,
and not just on TPs to the point where I thought my BOG (NW) was
malfunctioning, but everything later checked out fine.  This is in stark
contrast to the past 2 mornings when Asian conditions have been extremely
good with armchair copy especially of Chinese stations well into the
morning, past 18:00 UTC.  I didn't bring my notes in to down, though, so I
can't be positive of many of the details.  Bangladesh Betar has been heard
twice on 693 again, so a welcome visitor again.  1269 has been fun with the
VORWS in English from a Chinese transmitter site at very good levels, later
in the morning.  Farda has come in later in the mornings after VOA signs
off on 1575, and after AFN Japan fades out (when present at all).  I also
heard another Farda // a little lower in the band.  Absolutely no DU
activity noted at all.  The prediction for really good DX occurs when I can
hear KBRW 680 Barrow clearly.  If it's propagating, then I can expect
excellent results to Asia, and beyond to India (including the 60 m tropical
band).  On some days (50% or so), Barrow is heard, whereas on other days,
all I hear is either the French CBC station, or more often KNBR San
Francisco.  As always, I have many hours of excellent Perseus recordings.
 I'm astounded how well the domestic Chinese stations can be heard.  Sure
wish I understood Chinese!  The TPs often would start fading in about 05:00
UTC with 1287 and another JJ up there somewhere first.
     TAs have been extremely spotty.  Unfortunately fair at best, and often
non-existent.  Even on the couple of 'good" nights, I'd here 15 or 20 TAs,
but most at threshold levels, or nothing more than good level.  Not at all
like 2 or 3 years ago at the same time, where I'd be hearing armchair TA
activity all day long!
That's it for now!  73s to all!....Walt Salmaniw, Masset, BC