[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 11-19, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 11-19, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. Some interesting hets this evening UT Nov 15, first on the caradio:

Standing out was 1 kHz het on Cuba 670, at 0120 UT. Could not tell whether plus or minus on the 10-kHz step tuning, but it matched the pitch of the Saudi 1521 het on KOKC 1520. Ergo, it`s not an accidental drift, and it isn`t a TA either, of course, since TA frequencies are as far as you could get from 670, i.e. 666 and 675. [Greece pretends they are on 665, warding off evil spirits.]

Back home on the porch with DX-398, at 0255, I find that it`s 671, DFs from the same direxion as the Cuban, and null is toward WSCR. But the (primary, R. Rebelde // 710) Cuban is not the source as it`s within SAH range of WSCR. So maybe the other Cuban, R. Reloj? No audio available. Or could it be one of those mystery USG tests on an offset frequency? No, it`s not a 1 kHz AM tone from 670, since there is no peak on 669. Please check 671 if it`s still on when you get this. Has anyone else been hearing this 671 recently? Recheck at 0637, the 671 carrier is still there peaking from the southeast/northwest?

[later: Rick Shaftan in NW NJ agreed he was hearing something on 671 at 0407; many reporters in the ABDX group also reported 671 that evening, but no one offered a bearing or any audio: Kevin Redding, TN; Bob Smoak, SC; Kevin Raper, SC; Dean Wayman, NE; Rick Barton, AZ; Bert New, GA; Phil Rafuse, PEI; Bruce Winkelman, OK]

Still in the car at 0240, I was hearing some more hets on the even frequencies, 530, 910, 1000. The latter two would be TAs on 909, 999 but could the first be 531, or is LYQ-529 back with us?

On the DX-398 did a full bandscan in the 0250-0300+ period, confirming carriers on 671, TAs 693, 774, 783, 882, 909, 927, 1053, 1152, 1215 and 1377. Could not hear LYQ on 529.

O, I also was hearing that different less than 1 kHz het above 1210, no doubt still WDGR, Dahlonega GA, the 10 kW daytimer which was recently reactivated, not only cheating all night, but not on-frequency. It was definitely identified by Neil Kazaross, and Mauno Ritola says programming is in Korean! It was already in Korean in Feb 2006; see DXLD 6-034.

NRC AM Log 2011-2012 shows WDGR also has a critical hours license for 2.5 kW, which would allow it to stay on somewhat after sunset, but not all night, with a CP for 20 kW day, 1 watt night, and 12 kW CH on a U11 configuration, which means different direxionals day and CH, non-direxional at night. To add to the complexity, city of license is Lawrenceville, and address is in Norcross. 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, dxldyg and MW lists, and as expanded via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 671: Haven`t looked for TAs tonight, UT Wednesday Nov 16 around 0100 but the 671 carrier is in again. Best I can tell is that it`s from due NW/SE, which cuts across western Cuba and northeastern Colombia, give or take. {Signal is quite steady, so I doubt it`s from any further than Cuba, if not domestic.}

Sorry if I haven`t seen everyone`s reply yet, but from last night have not received any other bearings or audio reports. How about those of you in the east of NAm getting a bearing on it for some triangulation, and those in FL trying to get some audio whether it is a R. Reloj outlet or not? 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, several MW lists and dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST) These are the only new replies I`ve found:

Glenn, 125 miles east of Memphis, the directional is towards Cuba on the 671 (Kevin Redding, Crump, TN, 0129 UT Nov 16, ABDX via DXLD)

I've heard it here in Missouri as well -- quite a loud 1-kHz het but as Glenn said, no discernible audio here (Randy Stewart, Springfield MO, 0153 UT Nov 16, NRC-AM via DXLD)

I haven't had the opportunity to do any serious work on it yet, but I really didn't notice it on the crappy car radio daytime yesterday, in fact very weak around 2330 GMT yesterday on the NRD-535, but stronger as the eve progressed. And it was there pre-sunrise today, so obviously Latin American. No audio, or at least none coming through. Just seemingly a carrier.

Coincidental that this appeared about the same time the big Rebelde from western Cuba appeared on 530 (co-channeling their own Enciclopedia)? Rebelde has been reported on 530 by others, but that or those have been determined to be from the eastern side of the island and never heard at my location (Terry L Krueger, Clearwater, Florida, USA, 27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W, 1326 UT Nov 16, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Seems like the 671 kHz carrier was missing after the first two nights, but it`s back UT Nov 19 around 0030 UT as I was driving back and forth to the nearest fast food joint, where I had an 11-minute 0022-0033 wait for one burger, unlike a very irate customer who stormed in from his car, still unserved after 26 minutes. If I had used the drive-thru, I could have listened to the het just as long! It was still going at 0441 re check. We may safely assume it is far more annoying to Dentro-Cubans trying to hear 50 kW R. Rebelde on one of its prime MW frequencies, established on 670 really to block WWFE in Florida.

Terry Krueger in Clearwater FL has the 671 answer an hour later Nov 19 at 0130: ``Rebelde audio, fairly decent at times.`` During the daytime on Nov 15 he could get the carrier, but no audio; so it had to be from western Cuba, no further east than 50 miles from Habana. Slightly stronger into the evening. But not heard night of UT November 16. He hears a second Rebelde on 670 besides Arroyo Arenas. WRTH 2011 shows one of those, and one R. Reloj on 670, with no location. Let`s check the Reloj website itself:
http://www.radioreloj.cu/index.php/programacion-de-la-emisora-radio-reloj/72-cadenas-de-trasmision-de-radio-reloj-por-am
No 670 outlet listed there, let alone 671; what do they know?

Albert Lehr replied earlier via the ABDX group: ``I heard a weak carrier on 671 kHz in Livermore, California at 0310 UT 11/16. The bearing from here is about 110 degrees, possibly skewed a little on my indoor loop. The carrier is within 1 Hz of being exactly on 671 kHz. This may be a repeat of the Cuban experiment in the fall of 2007 on 1181 kHz.``

More reports of it tonight UT Nov 19 on the ABDX list:

``HUGE 1 kHz upper-sidetone heterodyne on 670 from the 671 kHz carrier tonight. Loops almost due south-north. I'll have to see if it is present during the day while looping that direction since I get many Cubanos day and night. BTW, I now live in Buras, LA, even further out into the Gulf of Mexico. -Darwin Long``

``EVEN further out into the Gulf Darwin? Stay dry, Buddy! DX isn't worth your life ;-) . The tone is audible here in St. Louis, Missouri, loud but not overwhelming. It more or less seems to peak at the exact same times Cuba overtakes my semi-local WSCR Chicago (which happens a lot). I'm wondering openly if it's a parasite/unintentional spur of some sort from the Cuban transmitter? Earl Higgins, St. Louis, Missouri, USA``, 0443 UT Nov 19

``Re 671 kHz: The tone on 670 is much louder here in Tulsa tonite (2030 CST 18 NOV 11 [0230 UT 19 NOV]) than previously heard. No DF capabilities here, unfortunately. Bruce Winkelman AA5CO, Tulsa, OK``
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I recently mentioned that I was no longer hearing a het on 1600, so apparently the off-frequency station, KMDO in Fort Scott KS, had fixed it --- no, there it is again, beating against KUSH/KRVA at 2113 UT Nov 18 on the caradio, and another one like it on 1510; as I toggled back and forth between the two on memory presets, (once known as push-buttons), the 1600 pitch matched exactly to my ear the het on 1510 caused by off-frequency KCTE Independence MO/Kansas City, which others have measured on 1510.83. I wonder if they are using same kind of transmitter subject to this peculiarity, as it`s quite a coincidence for both to be off by the precisely the same amount. KMDO is in SE Kansas, just one myriameter from the MO border west of Nevada (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)