Re: [IRCA] More on 1580

>>Advisory stations can appear on any channel -- because they are
generally a few watts -- and their coverage limited to a few KM, it is
generally irrelevant what channel they are on.<<

That is so true, admitidly I do have a beverage going East, but I have
heard many flea power stations, especially on the upper frequencies
through the years on fairly clear frequencies (without any strong
powerhouse on there). Some examples are 1220 WLSD Big Stone Gap VA 45
watts, 1570 WTRB Ripley TN 53 watts, 1570 KBRI Brinkley AR 23 watts,
etc. When getting the QSL from the station, often the CE goes out to
make sure the station is indeed on low power at night! They are quite
surprised. Some of these flea power signals on a clear frequency can be
fairly decent on peaks. Of course often I hear them a time or two and
never again, when the skip is just perfect. Being at the right place at
the right time and catching the skip at ID time. Probably by lowest
power MW station I have heard at a great distance would be maybe the
mixing product at the Sydney NSW tx site of three stations that did put
out a spur on 522 kHz that I QSL'd It was also logged in New Zealand. It
was barely above the noise floor and there is nothing else on 522 kHz,
so it got through at over 8300 miles. I don't know the power, but it
probably was not much. Or a TIS operated by the Midlothian Fire Dept,
Texas on 1670 I heard & QSL'd with 3.5 watts! The list goes on, so if
the frequency is clear enough, anything is possible. The Sydney mixing
product 522 kHz was not heard on a beverage, but  my WSW EWE.
>>I recall in Tofino a few years back there was a TIS station on 1280khz
or something... and at a B.C. Ferries terminal there was an AM (and FM)
TIS on some reasonable clear channels.
Sometimes the TIS has the luxury of literally picking their own channel
depending on the existing conditions within the vicinity of the desired
reception location.<<

There was the Park weather station on 1260 in that area I QSL'd some
year ago. Without checking, I don't remember the calls. I got them
during he day off the Northern Beverage Ihad at the time.

>>Consider yourself lucky if you can hear a TIS station at that distance
and on that frequency - 1580, as you know, is usually dominated by a
California station -- even during the day in Fall and winter.
As Bill has observed, never discount the AM radio dial during the day
any time of the year for unusual radio opportunities.<<

Yes, you never know what might pop in at any time. The excitement of
logging that rare catch, keeps the hobby alive for me. I feel the same I
did nearly 50 years ago when I discovered DXing at 13 by accident.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR