From: am-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:am-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Glenn Hauser
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:54 PM
To: dxld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; ABDX; amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; am@xxxxxxxxxxx; mwdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [NRC-AM] DXing the nationwide EAS test, imminent

Here`s what I observed, anyway. Don`t have an analog dial AM radio handy for rapid tuning, so decide to use the caradio in the garage; unfortunately, that`s where there is also a lot of line noise, especially on low end of AM so I concentrate on the high end:

1900 UT: nothing happens
1900:30 approx., the test starts on many frequencies Quick scan downward finds these are still in regular programming, news or whatever:
1580 KOKB Blackwell OK
1490 KMFS Guthrie OK
1230 WBBZ Ponca City

A minute or so later, WBBZ newscast was referring to the EAS test having just happened. So maybe it was included there and I missed it.

1340 KGHM Midwest City OK, I think was the one where I caught the end of the test, with extremely distorted unreadable speech, then chopped off. I guess that was the way whatever station they picked up to relay was sounding?

1130 KLEY Wellington KS in dead air at 1902-1904+. Don`t know if they did the test, but not unusual for them to SNAFU like this.

With only one radio running, and very limited time, I can`t be positive, but besides the above anomalies, it was my impression that the test was NOT synchronized across the dial. Of course many stations have different satellite delays, etc., or even built-in 7-second delays on everything. But to be effective should it not be synchronized?

Was this entirely optional, or will stations which really ignored it or messed it up be subject to fines? I look forward to reports from the rest of you.

73, Glenn Hauser, Enid OK