[IRCA] A taste of Aurora...

While Trans-Atlantic dx doesn't have much to offer, at least for now, around Midnight local on last Sunday night (through Monday), the band became alive with many Cubans and some Mexicans among others. As it is often the case here when it happens, it is the lower portion of the band who brings some interest.

At 23:59 local (03:59 UTC), the 690 KHz frequency was particularly sparkling with Mexico (XEN), Cuba (CMBC) and Colombia (HJCZ) at a near equal strength. The following clip begins with Mexico's national Anthem then seconds later, the Cuban Anthem starts. Around 1min, you'll hear XEN ID, Colombia's Radio Recuerdo multiples IDs and known voices from Progreso all amazingly mixed together:

http://www.quebecdx.com/mp3/latin_mix_690.mp3

The one o'clock announcement given at 1min53 /"...Es la una en el reloj de Catedral/" is still puzzling me however as it couldn't be the time of one of the three countries mentioned above. My guess is that it came from Progreso who have the habit of giving other country's cities time. There is a famous ski resort in Argentina called /"Cerro Catedral/" and it would have been 01:00 AM in Argentina and if the speaker would have referred to a cathedral Church, in the Spanish I've learned, he probably would have said /"...Es la una en el reloj de *la* Catedral/" but this is all pure speculation... Anyway, if there is a fourth station, it will remain unknown for sure :-)

Not a personal first but also worth listening how good XEQ 940 came in: http://www.quebecdx.com/mp3/mexico_xeq_940a.mp3 (actually at 939.880)

For some of you, XE's are real pest while for me, this is real dx :-)

Sylvain Naud
Portneuf, QC
Canada