[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 3-4, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 3-4, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 3; the lowest frequencies generally fade out first, so today I start tuning at band-bottom:

550, at 1154 UT Sept 3, TC 5:54 en Tapachula(? sounded like), 23 grados. Per Cantú, no Chiapans, but likely this one:
550 XEZK Poder 55 Tepatitlan de Morelos, Jal. 2,500 1,000, if not:
550 XETNC Radio Nayarit Tepic, Nay. 2,500 150

710, at 1157 UT Sept 3, DJ giving his work sked as he starts a shift, also on other stations in the group, 3 pm on R. Lobo, elsewhen on R. Sabrosita. 1202 full ID as XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc, claiming 7500 watts contrary to WRTH and to Cantú:
710 XEDP La Ranchera Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 7,000 100

880, at 1158 Sept 3, federal and Estado de Coahuila PSAs, ergo:
880 XETC 880 AM Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000

660, at 1201 Sept 3, many local announcements about Ciudad Delicias so
660 XEACB Radio 660, La Tremenda Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

870, at 1204 Sept 3, rustic music, then M&W alternating with detailed sign-on for XETAR including e-mail address, schedule 6 am to 6 pm; 6:03 TC, YL DJ begins her show for 3 de setiembre from:
870 XETAR La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara Guachochi, Chih. 10,000 D
BTW, the town used to be spelt Guachóchic, requiring an accent on O

610, at 1208 Sept 3, TC for 5:09, 1.5 Hz SAH mixing with KCSP Kansas City which is gaining. Timezone means it has to be a relog of:
610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500

770, at 1211 Sept 3, poor signal with Los 40 Principales singing ID:
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100

1300, at 1216 Sept 3, in QRM mentions Puente Internacional, which I have traversed between Ciudad Juárez/El Paso, and XEP:
1300 XEP Radio 13 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 38,000 200
Note refined power level, odd 38 kW vs. nominal as in WRTH 50 kW
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. During evening thunderstorm, external antennas disconnected, so a chance to do some MW monitoring on the DX-398 with internal antenna, which is my usual setup at sunrise:

770, UT Sept 4 at 0244, plug for ``Grupo Fórmula, en todo el país, y Estados Unidos``, dominating frequency. Cantú shows:
770 XEACH Radio Fórmula Primer Cadena Monterrey, N.L. 25,000 1,000
Sounds more like 25 kW than one to me

880, Sept 4 at 1159 UT, network ID only for 970, XERFR in the DF, Grupo Fórmula. As usual, their only outlet on 880 is per Cantú:
880 XEV Radio Fórmula Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 250

1040, Sept 4 at 1213 UT, slogan as ``Vega(?), la Número Uno,`` funny song ``Qué guapo soy, que bárbaro``; 1216 TC for 5:20 ``en La Once, la Número Uno``. Once again it`s this; not sure about the Vega reference:
1040 XEGYS La Primera + FM 90.1 Guaymas, Son. 5,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 580, UT Sunday at 1207, President Obama`s weekly `media` address on need for Congress to pass transportation bill ASAP upon reconvening. 1209 segué to Home Depot ad with no outro, no doubt our daytime dominator WIBW Topeka, doing its duty by broadcasting the president, but in the Sunday morning ghetto for as small an audience as possible some 22 hours after original availability.

Checking program schedule at
http://580wibw.com/programs.html
this is listed as 7:00-7:15 am Sundays, tho he never runs more than 5 minutes. WIBW is not so bad with the only obvious far-right wacko on its lineup being Glenn Beck, partly because of its dual identity as sports talk and regular talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, UT Sept 4 at 0237 steady open carrier from direxion of Stillwater, no doubt 250-watt daytimer KSPI, illegally making fast SAH of approx. 12 Hz with mutually-nullable WBBM. Could not however detect the usual +/- 4 kHz spurs from KSPI; perhaps they appear only while modulating? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, KGWA Enid, my local, Sunday Sept 4 first noticed around 1200 UT that it was dead air, with some hum; still at 1221. At 1229, what I thought had been some weak station underneath was realized axually to be just-barely-modulation from KGWA itself since it was absolutely steady. Risked turning up the volume: something about a camp in Abilene, Civil War history. Is no one paying attention at Williams Broadcasting? Still the same at 1237. Or, is no one at Williams Broadcasting? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Sept 3 at 1246 UT, Latin mass stix out, whence? Surely not KVIS Miami OK, not Catholic. EWTN affiliate list
http://www.ewtn.com/radio/amfm.asp
has only one on 910, Guadalupe Radio Network, KATH Dallas-Fort Worth.
http://grnonline.info/
And its program schedule confirms daily mass from EWTN [also on WEWN SW, unchecked] at 7-8 am = 12-13 UT; Sundays for a sesquihour:
http://grnonline.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=70
KATH is really licensed to Frisco TX, 1000/500 watts. What a great call, ``KATH-olik`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 2 at 1158 UT, Spanish gospel music, ID ``La I-H-N``; I had previously learned to avoid this one as non-Mexican, but for the record this season: it`s really KIJN, 10 kW daytimer in Farwell TX, panhandle next to NM; as in In Jesus` Name (or In His Name?).

Guess what, this is well before local sunrise, as it`s a few minutes before sunrise even here in Enid far to the east of it. FCC AM Query has no pre-sunrise authority info, but NRC AM Log 2011-2012 shows psra of 3 watts. I don`t think so. (Date is correct; omitted from yesterday`s log).

Also hearing Spanish gospel music on 1060, Sept 3 at 1247, still some skywave, after not hearing KKOB on 770 from 1245 when it is supposed to switch to non-direxional day pattern. Should start showing later in September (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, UT Sept 4 at 0259, Spanish song mentioning `pecados` = sins, making me suspect it`s the gospel huxter in TX also heard before sunrise: yes, at 0301 UT, in QRM caught ``Farwell`` mentioned in ID. So KIJN is Doing God`s Work illegally at night, as FCC AM Query confirms its licensed strictly as a 10 kW daytimer:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4931
And the SR/SS times for it converted to UT are:
September 1230-0100
October   1300-0015
November  1330-2345
December  1345-2345
Anything beyond that is `cheating` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Sept 3 at 1214 UT, ad for ``1190 The Fan`` and other stations in group looking for a sales rep. That leads to KREB in Bentonville AR, http://1190thefan.com/ (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, open carrier, UT Sunday Sept 4 at 1224, loops for my groundwave semi-local in Wichita, KQAM, which is supposedly 24 hours. 1232 recheck, now modulating a gospel huxter proclaimed it`s almost 2010 near the end of 2009. Wonder if he`s dead by now like PPP, DGS, or as good as dead like `Tony Alámo`, Harold Camping (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)