  From: Paul B. Walker, Jr.
  Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 1:54 AM
  Subject: [NRC-AM] Tight AM Patterns

  Im sure there are tighter ones (Such as 990 Muncie, IN with 250W/6 towers) but the two I mention below I've personally seen just how tight the patterns are.

  WJIL 1550 Jacksonville, IL with 1KW/4 towers Day and 10W/4 towers night.

  The towers are so inline and the pattern is so tight, you can be driving down the highway in the middle of the day  and pull off to the side of the highway to the point where you are so inline you can online see 1 tower.... and be smack dab in a null less then 1 mile away.

  http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WJIL&service=AM&status=L&hours=D

  The signal is so weak at night, you can SEE the towers and if you're on the wrong side of the pattern, you don't hear them.

  I also drove, well, ok a friend drove, through the null of KHMO 1070 Hannibal, MO when I was in the car. We were probably about 1/2 mile by air from the 1KW beaming from 6 towers at night and we drove right through a null as we could SEE the towers.

  http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KHMO&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

  Paul Walker