Re: [IRCA] 30 years of DXing

Hi old friends and new,

I've been reading the IRCA-online messages for several months now, and have been enjoying the posts about TP and LA DX especially.

Bob Coomler's post brought back some memories, and I want to correct one name in it - it was Tom Colthurst, not Tom Seaver (I wish!). Add Randy Lee to the list too, he was my best friend for awhile in the early 60s.

I started with station survey collecting in 1959, meeting Randy Lee at the Little League field where our brothers were playing baseball. I succumbed to the allure of Medium Wave DXing in 1962 and was able to hear many TPs, DUs and LAs from San Diego. I added TAs in 1964 in the fantastic sunspot minimum that year and was really hooked on foreign DXing. I joined NRC in 1962 and then IRCA soon after it started, and stayed a member of both until around 1990. Editing the DX Worldwide column for several years in the 1960s (maybe 1866-1968?) was fun, and learning about and then writing about medium wave propagation was an intellectual challenge. The listening ended when the R-390 and HQ-180 crapped out in the 1980s, when the girls were young, and I got hooked on genealogy research (and still am). I do scan the dial in the car occasionally while I'm waiting for someone to show up.

My email address is rjseaver@xxxxxxx if anyone wants to contact me and share memories. Linda and I are still in Chula Vista (south of San Diego), our two daughters are married with two children each, and life is pretty good. I retired after 35 years at Rohr in 2002, and do teaching, speaking and writing about genealogy topics to fill my time.

Cheers -- Randy