Re: [IRCA] 30 years of skywave DXing

Got the radio bug from a cousin of mine who was into shortwave. Our grandparents lived out in the country and he would put up a wire and we would listen to the propaganda broadcasts (this was the mid-60s).

Started in 1968 with a small Panasonic portable radio (transistor) which my family got from the local Triple-S stamp redemption center in nearby Fair Lawn. Picked up a couple hundred stations that summer and got a Hallicrafters S-120 for Christmas. Never knew about radio clubs, but it was a lot of fun just doing it myself. I knew shortwave stations QSL'd, but never realized AM stations did too! To this day, I have just one BCB QSL: KOA in Denver on that same Panasonic portable (which no longer works) from 1977.

Three years later I got into amateur radio as WN2BSU and am now celebrating 40 years in the hobby. Started in broadcasting in 1980 at WRKL in New City NY, worked full-time in radio in the mid-80s in WV, VA and IN before returning to NJ in 1986. Have been doing sports reporting at WGHT since 1999 on a part-time basis, in addition to working a day job.