[IRCA] 540 in Canonsburg, PA: Now on RS in SS, announcing as "WWCS Canonsburg"

[IRCA] 540 in Canonsburg, PA: Now on RS in SS, announcing as "WWCS Canonsburg"

Thx for your research, Brett. Listened to them for 20 mins this morning...my
Spanish goes back to college days, so I can't follow the rapid-fire on-air
idiom! But it's all Mexican-style pop and SS ads, w/TOH ID in heavily
accented English: "WWCS, Canonsburg."

I'm surprised at the format, b/c I did not realize that the Pittsburgh area
has developed a significant Spanish-speaking population. According to the
Pgh Tribune-Review, "The Spanish population has grown tremendously in
Pittsburgh...The Hispanic population in Allegheny County was 11,166,
according to the 2000 Census. Estimates for 2006 show the Hispanic
population having grown to 12,234.

Also, WWCS has that wonderful bottom-of-the-dial position with 5,000 NDD
/ 500 cardioid southward night, so they blanket Pittsburgh, W PA, N WV, E
OH, & W MD. Also, they compress the heck out of their audio and sound really
loud...between spots, the hum/buzz rises rapidly and loudly (to program
level!) , something they need to fix.

I really enjoyed having 540 clear for a few days. It was like my teen years
as a DXer in the late 50s-early 60s, with a locally clear channel, listening
to the sunset progression from WGOP to WETC to WGTH to WFLF to KMLB. Nice
while it lasted!