[IRCA] SDR Software for SDR-IQ

After reading a bit about the WRplus software and it’s performance, I decided to try to use it with my RF Space SDR-IQ receiver. Even if you have a conventional receiver, please read on.

First of all, the WRplus software allows you to easily select both the input and output sound card. This is a significant feature, and easy to use. This feature allowed me to use my USB “sound card” interface on my Icom 746Pro transceiver as the “input” for the software, and my computer’s sound card as the “output” to drive speakers. Using my conventional receiver in this manner, I could easily process the USB signal out of the Icom into AM, ECSS (sync AM), etc. In other words, you can use this software with any receiver as long as you have a way to route the audio into your computer.

Unfortunately, the software will not natively out of the box support the SDR-IQ. But you can download the .DLL driver files for the Winrad software, which also work well with the WRplus. Simply place these three files into the same folder as the WRplus software on your computer and restart the program. Now under “input select” you’ll see SDR-14 and SDR-IQ. Select your SDR receiver, and you’re in business.

Now the good stuff...this software is easy to use, intuitive, and powerful. The sync AM function compares nicely with the ICF-2001 and the Drake R8B performance in this regard. Listening to AM is a pleasure with this feature. You can also quickly select other modes, and have some limited ability to change the size of filters. The noise blanker performance is also top notch, and adjustable.

One of the downside, you don’t have the ability to tailor the shape and sharpness of filters the way that you can in SDR-Console software, and you have very few options in regards to the display.

All in all, I’d say this software will quickly replace SDR-Console as my “go to” software, especially for general listening. It’s easy to use, and the audio quality is amazing. Best I’ve heard from an SDR-software package. CPU load is light too, making this a great choice for older computers and laptops.

One complaint I’m having with SDR in general is that the promise of this technology, you’ll have a new radio “every few months” with features that you cannot begin to imagine. In truth, the software is often the limitation. At present, no one software package that I’ve tried offers the combination of features found on typical high end transceivers in terms of selecting filters, notch controls, noise blanking, noise reduction, and other features.

I find Spectravue to be almost useless due to it’s complexity and steep learning curve. SDR-Console is great, and feels the most like a “true” receiver, but the audio can be choppy and the CPU load is intense. It also seems to “hang” on my computer and not want to open and close properly, often requiring restarts of the computer. WRplus seems to be the best combination of all that I’ve tried. But none are as easy to use as my primary receiver, the Icom 746Pro.

Really enjoying this topic, and reading it allowed me to discover WRplus, which I hadn’t heard of. Please continue to share your experiences with the group, and allow all of us to benefit from each other’s efforts.

73 & Good DX,

Les Rayburn, N1LF