[IRCA] So, How was DX in 2010?

I've been expecting to see some posts from folks describing what kind of year
they had DX'ing the AM band, but nada so far.  So, I'll kick things off...

Overall, 2010 wasn't a stellar year here, but it had its moments.  There were
long periods of mediocre conditions, and I think I did quite a bit less
listening than in the previous several years.  On the upside, though, 2010
saw the demise of my local on 1150, and the big semi-local Montreal pests on
690 and 940.  Opening up those three frequencies brought a bunch of new
loggings (16 in all).  SSS conditions were mostly disappointing, especially
during the prime times at the end of October and November.  TA conditions
were pretty good at times, but my only new TA loggings were from less than
exotic places (Spain, France, Germany, Italy).  In total, I added 40 new
stations to the log, and ended the year with 2327 stations heard (since
starting in 1998).

Some highlights:
- an auroral event in April (only significant one noticed during 2010)
brought in a handful of new catches from SC/GA/FL.
- snagging KEVT in AZ during their DX test in July.  I was amazed they made
it here, as 1210 is a terrible channel for DXing here.
- a few good SSS catches, especially KZMQ-1140 in WY in September with a
clear ID, and KPWX in OR in November (no ID, but had the right format and
slogan).
- a few good sunrise loggings to the west, most notably KDDR-1220 in ND.
- a few much-wanted close unheards, such as WADS-690 in CT and WDIS-1170 in
MA.
- catching CHGM-1150 before they went silent.

But enough about me... how did YOUR year go?

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON