Re: [IRCA] WHEB

>>Some other weird schedules:
During the 1960s, KTW-1250 in Seattle signed off at sunset, then signed
back on at 11:15 pm, due to an agreement with KWSU in Pullman,WA. Also
during the 60s, KGBS-1020 in Los Angeles was a daytimer, but was allowed
to operate 9pm to 2 am PST on Sunday nights when KDKA was off for
maintenance
Before it was granted full time authority, KXL-750 in Portland was
allowed to sign on at 6 am with 50 kw all year, since that was well
after local sunrise in Atlanta (they had to protect WSB). I think
KXA-770 Seattle had a similar deal to protect WABC (but not KOB),
allowing them to use full power at 6am signon. Since KXA was only 1 kw,
it hardly mattered from a practical standpoint I seem to recall a
station in the midwest on 1560 that signed off at Bakersfield sunset<<

I had forgotten about a lot of that.  I remember QSLing KXA a bit later
on, which still was using 1 KW. One I had forgotten to QSL from years
before. I almost lost out on that 1KWer. They were a regular evryday on
the OR coast. Not even DX.  Fortunately the CE liked reports and I got a
quick verie letter on KXA letterhead back. He commented that he liked
going to the Ham conventions in Seaside each year! I think within a
couple of years the station was sold and they boosted power and changed
calls. One of the old 3-call letter ones that almost got away. KTW-1250
did get away as I never got around to sending them a report that I kick
myself for.
   Another one, I had never logged for some reason was WGY 810. I just
never caught it in AK or OR. I guess I never tried, as it has turned out
to be the easiest NY station to hear these days and I hear it several
times a year mixing with KGO during good Eastern cx, but about 15 years
ago I finally nabbed and QSL'd them. Near the same time I finally caught
WOWO 1190 too. Both nice verie letters. Years earlier I probably would
have got a QSL card rather than a letter, but still I am happy to have
the QSLs.

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR