Re: [IRCA] Alberta TPs for 1 Dec 2010

Excellent question, Saul, and sorry that I can't really answer it.

It seems that sunrise on the coast in the fall may coincide with another (undefined) peaking mechanism for TP's that seems to occur around 1300 to 1400UT. In midwinter, receiver sunrise enhancement of TPs often doesn't seem to occur, and yet signals may have been stronger a couple of hours previously. Indeed, there may have been better reception during sunset at the transmitter a number of hours previously. Some seasons, reliable sunrise TP reception here ends by mid-October. The problem with sunset at the transmitter enhancements or the undefined, if even real, maximum strength at 1300-1400UT in the winter, is that the domestics are in full force, whereas, part, sometimes the only part, of sunrise enhancement for the west coast DXer, is that domestic stations have been knocked down by daylight, and signals from the darkness to the west are more readable with the lower level of interference.

Having said that, there can be midwinter mornings when there is sunrise (and even later) enhancements of TPs, and those can be of more exotic locations, like the China coast or the Philippines, or low power Japanese repeaters; these are usually in the upper end of the band. The secret is to keep listening, as there seems to be no reliable predictive mechanism. But in the early to mid-fall, and to a lesser extent early spring, all you need to do is turn on the radio just before your sunrise.

best wishes,

Nick