[IRCA] TP from Kauai for 3Dec 2010: Australian Pipeline!

[IRCA] TP from Kauai for 3Dec 2010: Australian Pipeline!

On our final night on Kauai, we had torrential downpours all night long, so monitoring was restricted to the part of the lanai most protected from the wind and the rain!  I monitored between 16:11 and 17:05 UTC (6:11 to 7:05 AM).  Conditions seemed quite good, and I quickly realized that virtually all the channels were open to Australia.  On top of that, a welcome visitor was Radio Farda on 1575.  Here's the list of what was heard using my handy little Eton e100, modified with a 7.5" ferrite rod.

540:  2AP at excellent level
549:  Chinese ?CNR5 at fair to good level to W/NW
558:  sounds like an OC
585:  piano to NW at good level.  ? Chinese?
603:  Weak talk with rapid flutter to W/NW.  Another cochannel with piano.
612:  Brisbane at good to very good level.  Many // as noted below
630:  4QN presumably with good level and // to many other frequencies including 612.
639:  Islands music at 16:19 at poor to fair level.  ? Fiji
675:  Poor/fair to W with Vietnamese talk.
702:  2BL Sydney at fair level.  // 612 4QR
738:  2NR Grafton at good to very good level // 630 and 612 (but with deep fades at 16:23).
783:  poor
792:  4RN Brisbane at fair to good level. // 630, etc
810:  poor
846:  poor to SW
855:  4QO Eidsvold at very good level with same talk-in show as other Aussie frequencies (612, etc).  At 16:29
864:  poor to W
873:  ?2GB Sydney.  Fair with same call-in program.  //855
891:  4TAB Innisfail,presumed at good/very good level with same Aussie call-in program (licensing 16 year olds to drive).
927:  Music (western ballad) at fair to good level to south.  Several possibilities here:  4CC Gladstone might match, as could Fiji.  Remains an unid.
954:  Talk show to SW at fair level.  2UE Sydney most likely.
963:  poor
972:  HLCA presumed with a call-in program in apparent KK.  Good reception.
1017:  poor at 16:38.  1017 has been a major disappointment.  This frequency should boom in, but doesn't at all.  I think that the transmitter and/or antenna system is poorly maintained.  Compare reception on 1017 vs 540 which has boomed in from Samoa, geographically not that much closer than Tonga.
1071:  Poor to fair to SW with rapid flutter.  Instrumental music at 16:40.  unid.
1098:  OC
1116:  4BC Brisbane.  Excellent reception with music at 16:41, then time check for "18 minutes to 3".  A great channel to guage DU reception!
1152:  ?2WG Wagga Wagga ?  Poor to fair with flutter, and maybe // to 1116.
1170:  VOA Poro at excellent level with special EE about Salvador Dali, at 16:46
1206:  poor to SW
1413:  Fair level to S/SE with talk by OM, but fairly low modulation.  A bit too weak to follow content/language, etc.  Unid
1503:  poor to fair to SE/NW at 16:53
1530:  poor to SW (music)
1539:  poor
1548:  4QD Emerald with call-in talk show at good level.
1575:  fair to NNE/SSW, with Iranian type music, and I'm sure a Radio Farda ID at 17:00:25.

That's it for today, which was, in my opinion, the most interesting of my 10 day stay on Kauai.  I'm typing this from a noisy hotel room in Waikiki.  I just might give the band a whirl tomorrow morning, but I wouldn't count on it!  73s for now,......Walt Salmaniw