[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 20-23, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 20-23, 2010

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** OKLAHOMA. 1670, talking houses of Greg Winkeljohn continue to be missing from the Enid X-band, but now there`s a new one from someone else, on 1690:

Nov 22 at 1921 UT in central Enid I hear a YL voice loop on 1690. She speaks slowly and clearly with some long pauses. Spends as much time promoting the TH concept as about the axual house broadcasting on this frequency. Details: Samantha Sabedra of Smith Real Estate, claims to be the only realtor (here) offering this service, plus a free video about TH.

Now she`s pushing 3509 McClaflin Drive, which is in the Pioneer school district (rural SE of Enid), on a school bus route. Phone 580-354-7279. I had never heard of this street but found it on a city map and got correct spelling. It`s in a development at the SE corner of Enid, S of Owen K. Garriott = US 412, and east of 30th Street.

No website announced, but I found her here, so also spell her name right: http://www.samanthakennington.com/default.html
The address above is not among the 13 Featured Homes linked therefrom. Nor is there anything about TH on the website.

I vaguely recall hearing her a couple years ago in a previous talking house spate. Yes, in DXLD 8-095, ``1570 kHz, around 2000 Aug 28, 2008, found new talking house at 1330 West Elm`` voiced by the same Sam.

Altho it is not on the way to anywhere I normally go, no doubt eventually I will get out to 3509 McClaflin and make the usual inspexion for antennas, evaluate Part 15 strength. Since it has a good signal halfway across town, I suspect it is excessive. OTOH, on the west side of Enid it is losing out, and once skywave is starting to kick in by 2112 UT, Denver and Chicago are atop 1690. Heard alone, the signal seemed clean, on BFO-less caradio, but as QRM to broadcasters it sounds a bit mushy like Winkeljohn`s 1670 transmitters (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1690, checking for Talking House on home rig, Nov 23 at 1336 UT, I am not hearing it, just WVON claiming there is only one place to go for seafood in Chicago, which I find unlikely in such a megacity. But there is NO place to go in Enid for seafood in particular, except as an add-on to Chinese restaurants. Yesterday`s reception could have been a test from Smith Realty`s office in central Enid at 528 N Van Buren, rather than the house cited/sited in far SE Enid? But at 1730 with no skywave, Samantha`s spiel is again audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, Nov 23 at 1321 UT I find a signal dominating from N/S, the ``KMOH Swap Shop`` or so it sounded, two guys discussing items for sale or rent, including a mechanical bull; mentioned Laverne, wheat fest, basketball Osborne-Columbia. Closest call in the NRC AM Log is KLOH Pipestone MN, and it`s in the right direxion, but I don`t get any significant hits searching on those names in Minnesota.

But it`s right next to South Dakota, and the KLOH website http://www.klohradio.com/ indicates impact in SD, but no significant hits there either; it shows they do have a swap shop, http://www.klohradio.com/SwapShop/Index.cfm
altho not a program by that name, but they do have two guys on the air at this time, Bill Van Hoecke / Collin Christensen per
http://www.klohradio.com/KLOH/ProgramSchedule/Index.cfm

Day power is an even 9380 watts. November sunrise is 1315 UT, but December 1400. So tentatively KLOH, an interesting station; history: http://www.klohradio.com/AboutUs/Index.cfm
LOH stands for Land Of Hiawatha, and it`s ``Stereo Country 1050``, so C-QUAM is still in use? Beginning to be bothered by WHO IBOC as I move on (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Nov 22 at 2159 UT on caradio, dominant signal is from Family Radio, then quick and clear ID ``KKAA, Aberdeen``, i.e., South Dakota. At 10 kW day and night, hi-band, this is the best MW DX bet for many from this state, unless there is some other transmitter with a COL across the state line. There is only one SD station on a higher frequency, but with much lower power: 1570, KVTK Vermillion, 500/71 watts.

Too bad it`s the same apocalyptic nonsense one can already get on dozens of SW frequencies and hundreds of FM translators and relays. I assume from May 21, 2011, KKAA will self-destruct or suddenly become for sale. One might also want to stand by to scoop up all the empty piles of clothes on the ground; full wallets too, I suppose, if anything is left after The Foolish Faithful have given countless millions to keep Harold Camping`s monomania going (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search, Nov 21: on the DX-398 in USB mode upward from 1320 UT: weakies on 747, 774, 828, 1422. The first three no doubt the usual NHKs, while 1422 in decreasing order of power listed could be China, Taiwan, Japan. Enid sunrise today was 1315; might have been more productive in previous semihour (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1340, Sat Nov 20 at 1326 UT, something in Spanish is atop the graveyard jumble, ad for Mariscos Bicentenario and other local items, but can`t catch any identifiable addresses; 1328 mentions mil trescientos cuarenta, frequency in Spanish, later sounds Spanglish. I was hoping that was name of a restaurant which could be Googled to some 1340 town, but the few hits lead to Chile; unlikely to be CB134, CC134 or CD134. Apparently it is the name of a dish instead, and of course the bicentennial of Mexico is in progress, but doubt it`s unAmerican. As the signal was somewhat steady, suspect it could have just been KJMU Sand Springs OK, near Tulsa if they are now doing any such programming (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###