Re: [IRCA] The expanded band turns 15

My recollections of the early expanded band:

There was an experimental station that went on the air from a site near Las Vegas that served the NAB Convention for a couple of years running on 1620? and another experimental station that, I think, went on from California. I think I remember that this was a on-air trial of a studio and transmitter truck that was designed for use by the US military destined for the Middle East. I could hear them every night proving just how jammed up the regular AM band must be. Later on, X-band pioneer KCJJ from Iowa became a clear-channel regular and I also heard this nightly. They had a music format and were heard around the country before the frequency loaded up. Wasn't this also the era of the kid's format called Radio Ahhs that originated in Minnesota?

Post script: What ever happened to the idea that all extended band stations be fitted with AM stereo? How many station still run AM stereo up there?  Are any X-banders using IBOC?

Karl  N2KZ