Re: [IRCA] The expanded band turns 15

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 22:56:41 -0500 (EST) Steve Francis <amdxmail@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>15 years ago tonight, at 8:20pm EST, Niel Wolfish in Toronto heard a test ID from WJDM-1660 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  DXers in the Eastern and Central time zones had been noting tone and music testing since October 10, but this was the first report of a voice ID.  Regular sked would begin on December 8.  I heard them for the first time on December 14.

Is scary how fast time flies...

Was only yesterday when a bearded and 27 year old Nick Hall-Patch showed up
on my doorstep for the first time... was back in early 1976 -
marking the beginning of a "serious phase" of MW Dxing.

Everybody has one of those major "influencer" hobbyists that sets fire to your enthusiasm.
Nick was one of those guys.

And for those just joining us... Nick is fine.
I am just reminiscing on some of the good old days. :-)

Colin Newell is the editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com, DXer.ca and BobHarris.com Amateur Radio VA7WWV - Victoria B.C. Canada | Twitter.com/coffeecrew