[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 8-9, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, November 8-9, 2010

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** ALASKA. I frequently check 2750 in routine bandscans, for HAARP to show up again, but no sign of it until: Nov 9 at 0647, with a wide variety of carrier and tone tests past 0719. Of course, until the DST/ST shift I was seldom monitoring that late, as unfortunately my daily routine has to be tied more to the local clock than to UT, even tho I denounce the very concept of shifting time.

At 0647, carrier cutting on and off, gradually speeding up the pulse rate, peaks S9+25. 0643 it reaches about 10x per second and still rising. 0644 cuts briefly to constant carrier, then resumes pulsing at increasing rate. Meanwhile, I amuse myself by playing ``O What a Beautiful Morning`` by adjusting the BFO tuning on this carrier.

0646, adds tone modulation to the carrier pulsing, and that rises too as the pulse rate continues rising to ``airplaning``. 0653 still increasing rate and pitch but very slowly. 0654:36* cuts off the air, but soon back on at 0655 now with sweep tones upward repeated every 6 seconds = 10x per minute, past 0700+, and off at 0704:34*.

*0705 back on with carrier, then hi-pitched tone test stepping up, rather than sweeping up. 0707 slow subaudible heterodyne, then increases (as if two separate transmitters deliberately slightly offset). 0708 constant tone, stepping up. 0709 lo-pitched tone, stepping up. 0710 slow SAH increasing to fast. (I take a few minutes to tune around for other things).

0719:34* after OC without tones, and soon back on with the SAHs as I quit. When I wake up at 1250, nothing on 2750, around the time I last heard this a few weeks ago: ``Oct 4 at 1214, strong signal and still but weaker at 1242.``

Identity of all this as HAARP, Gakona, Alaska is based on previous reports and this is one of their known frequencies, tho certainly there was nothing like an ID heard, nor probably sent tho it would have been easy to do so. There is a lot of information at http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/ but searching on 2750 does not get any hits. WTFK? I have yet to find any specific frequency info. It does say that some of the antennas cover 2.8 to 8.3 MHz, avoiding the 40 and 80m hambands. The 2750 signals I was hearing were not especially wideband, as some had reported, just normal bandwidth (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. 2850, KCBS, Nov 9 at 1251, S9+10 in Korean talk after choral music, but insufficient vs noise level. This had not been audible past few mornings (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, KOKB Blackwell, which was off the air Nov 7, is back on Nov 8 at 1503 UT check with sports talk, about one semisecond behind // 1020, KOKP Perry, as if a satellite feed of more than one hop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 3160, I have not been trying to hear the WPJK harmonic in the evenings, since it is so reliable in the mornings, and being almost a kilomile westward from this daytimer, we are in a much better position to hear it in the mornings. However, given its incorrect sign-on timings, I was wondering if they manage to sign off at the correct legal sundown time for November at Orangeburg SC, according to their entry on the FCC website, of 2215 UT.

So Nov 8 at 2213 I start monitoring 3160, and do succeed in detecting a carrier --- will it shortly go off? Yes! At 2215:47*, so that is probably it. My request for others closer to monitor that has not been answered.

Next check at 1252 UT Nov 9, music is just barely audible on 3160 before fadeout.

BTW, Eugene Robinson, author, Washington Post columnist and political commentator on MSNBC, was born and grew up in Orangeburg, as introduced on C-SPAN`s Book TV Nov 6 at 2300.
http://www.booktv.org/Program/11954/2010+Texas+Book+Festival+Eugene+Robinson+quotDisintegration+The+Splintering+of+Black+Americaquot.aspx
But I am sure he bears no responsibility for this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search Nov 9 just after local sunrise from 1304 UT, upward in USB mode on DX-398 with internal antenna: 594, 666, 693, 702, 747, 774, 792, 972, 1107, 1242, 1566 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###