Re: [IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 21, 2010

Re: [IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 21, 2010

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** OKLAHOMA. I have now located the photo of the wasp nest (not hornet; I misspoke), at the 1317 Cansler talking house on 1670 (which continues to be well heard over much of Enid):
http://www.w4uvh.net/1670th1317wasp.jpg
I have no reason to believe it is a disguised antenna exceeding Part 15 parameters. Even at night now, its QRM can be heard upon WTDY Madison WI (Glenn Hauser, UT Oct 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. To reconfirm that KDWN Las Vegas is illegally switching to non-direxional 50 kW day pattern one hour too early, I am waiting for it on 720 at 1243 UT Oct 22 --- no signals. KDWN pops on at 1244:39 amid Heidi Harris talking: she does not even greet all her new undeserved listeners to the east, mainly me. Soon over to traffic report, even tho it`s only 5:45 am PDT there.

October official sunset is 5:00 pm PST = 0100 UT. So is KDWN an hour fast then too, cutting to night pattern at 0000 UT? That would be hard to tell from here. In November, LV SR & SS are 6:15 am and 4:30 pm PST = 1415 and 0030 UT. During the first week of Nov when silly DST is still in effect, KDWN might still be an hour early in the mornings, i.e. 1315 UT to day pattern, but from Nov 7 back in step?? If they think all that matters is the local clock.

Still in at 1300 UT when ID claims she is ``Las Vegas`s only live local talk show host``. Period, without qualification as to time. Is this true? If so, poor Las Vegas, getting Harry Reid trashed and Sharron Angle built up. However, in news on the hour, K-Dawn had some clips of Reid denouncing Angle, from his appearance on MSNBC`s The Ed Show, yesterday originating from Henderson. Heidi has allegedly appeared on The Ed Show from time to time [22-23 UT M-F], but I don`t recall ever seeing her.

FCC entry for KDWN at
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=54686
shows they have a CP for some changes both day and night, but I haven`t tried to figure out what the point of them is. Can anyone? Parameters superficially look about the same, before and after.

Since I did not hear 770 KKOB Albuquerque NM yesterday when it normally cuts to non-direxional day pattern at 1315 UT, I am standing by for it Oct 22: and so it does appear today, amid discussion of magnifying hardware in elexion booths for tiny-print ballots. Even tho it is half a timezone east of Las Vegas, KKOB goes to day pattern a semihour later as it should (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP MW carrier search Oct 22 at 1230: very weak ones detectable on 648, 666, 747, 828, 882, 972, 1008, 1035, 1044, 1098, 1125, 1134; and at 1235 on 1566. I see the last one has been of particular interest to Pacific Northeast DXers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)