[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 6-8, 2010

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 6-8, 2010

** JAPAN [and non]. Another trans-Pacific MW bandscan on 9 kHz steps, Oct 7 from 1154, detected carriers in LSB position: 567, 594, 747. At 1201 in USB position, signals must have been peaking: 556, 567, 585, 594, 648, 693, 747, 774, 828, 855-, 882, 891, 972, 1053, 1098, 1116, 1197, 1287. But most of them were just barely detectable weak carriers, given away by the pitch of their hets against the off-tuned BFO.

Meanwhile I concentrated on 747 as best bet for audio, from 300 kW NHK-2, JOIB Sapporo: at 1159 a bit of audio; 1200 resounding prolonged timesignal tone, but could not hear pips leading up to it. 1208 now definitely audio, alternating Japanese and elementary American English phrases in language lesson; gone by 1212 as were the other carriers. Had more problem from KRMG 740 Tulsa splatter than anything on 750.

As before, using DX-398 indoors with AC, internal ferrite antenna only, while abed (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier scan Oct 8 at 1207-1210 UT on DX-398 with internal antenna only, first in LSB position: 1475 (has to be SABAH on unique frequency), 1053, 747, 594.

Next upward in USB position, 1210-1215: 693, 774, 792, 828, 855, 864, 882, 972, 1044, 1053, 1089, 1098, 1134, 1143, 1287, 1314.

At 1220 in AM mode, could hear hets from 891 and 819 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. More sunrise MW DX: 900 kHz, Oct 8 at 1224, peppy Mexican music and DJ trying to wake up audience with several 6:26 timechex; clock is a bit fast, at 1229 it`s 6:30, temp only 9 C, government PSAs into one lasting several minutes until fade 1235, about a new mural the Supreme Court has commissioned for the 200th anniversary. I thought the artist mentioned was Ernesto Carbonell, but that name doesn`t show in searches.

This loops WSW, so can`t be XEW, the original sole occupant of 900, long ago downgraded to cram in more AMs around the country (will it regain dominance once the migration to FM is complete?). The only one fitting from that timezone (UT -6 = CST/MDT) and direxion is per WRTH 2010: XEDT, 5/1 kW, La Reina, Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua.

It seems we are having a pipeline from that town, as a few minutes earlier I again had the 710 station, XEDP, like a few days ago, Oct 1.

Why was it so chilly in C.C.? Latitude only 28-24 North, but must be high: yes, Wiki says 1935 m (6348.43 ft) elevation! Could that also have something to do with how well their stations get out?

This led me to check 550, finding at 1228, another Mexican in the same zone with 6:27 timecheck, 1228 IFE PSA, but losing out to USA. This was very likely XEPL, La Súper Estación, 5/0.15 kW, also Ciudad Cuauhtémoc. IIRC heard years ago this one had some Low German programming, since it`s a Mennonite stronghold.

Per http://mexicoradiotv.com/listchih.htm there is one more AM there, on 990, XEER, Radio Lobo. Must seek it next time. I also checked 870 again for XETAR but no sign of it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, KEOR, which had been fairly reliable lately, again noted with open carrier only on caradio twice during the 20-21 UT hour Oct 7. When noise level was least, I thought I could detect some music, possibly barely modulated. Next check at 2304, KEOR came right on with an ID as ``Sperry-Tulsa``, R&B music, but now a fast heavy SAH, maybe 15 Hz, from KMOX. Next2 check at 2326, KMOX is heard, still with the SAH, but no other modulation, so KEOR is back to OC. How in the world do they expect to build and retain an audience with intermittent modulation?

1580, KOKB, Blackwell, has been modulating whenever checked in the past week, altho may have missed trying it over the weekend when it had been more likely to go for hours/days with dead air. Also seems the modulation is less distorted now (Glenn Hauser, Enid, Oct 7, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Oct 6 at 0625, South Asian music caught my ear as I tuned across; 0628 YL ID, but only caught ``12-20`` in English. Dominant signal on frequency for a while, but fading for next announcement at 0631. Presumably KZEE Weatherford TX, which I have heard before, a Metroplex outlet known as ``Hot Pepper 1220`` and ``South Asian Radio`` with ethnic format per NRC AM Log 2010-2011. Night power is 200 watts, so enough here to overcome XEB and WHKW.

1320, at 0634 Oct 6 had M&W in Chinese(?), probably KXYZ Houston, one of the Multicultural stations tho listed as mainly in Spanish. Hard to find any specifix about its program/language times (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600, Oct 8 at 1216, this frequency gave me pause in my TP bandscan, as there was a political ad for Diane Dinesh, who is running for governor of New Mexico, then another ad, and back to oldies; ergo, KRKE Albuquerque. After 6 am local but well before sunrise, supposedly only 84 watts on PSRA before daytime power of 10,000 watts non-direxional, but I don`t believe it, dominating channel for a while. Would you believe they have a CP for 50,000 watts ND daytime, but still only 175 watts at night? I believe this call previously applied to 610, originally KGGM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)