Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-7

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-7

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your generous comments (about generous-sized loops).

In answer to your question, it's rarely necessary to null pest stations
when chasing TP's in Puyallup, since almost all the west coast QRM (Vancouver,
 Seattle, California, etc.) is around 90 degrees separated from the usual
TP  bearing of 300 degrees. This is a lucky accident of geography, but I'll
take it :-)  The only time it's really necessary to carefully null a west
coast pest is when you try for TP-DX on a frequency like 630, 720, 810, etc.,
 where domestic stations share frequencies with TP's. Then it's very
important to get the null as precise as possible.

The situation is completely different when chasing DU's on the coast,
however. Seattle and Portland were exactly on the back side of the figure-8
pattern PVC loops when chasing Australia and New Zealand during the Lincoln
City trips, and there was no way to null the pests. It was necessary to tune
the  PVC loop (and Slider loopstick) repeatedly, to minimize splatter from
the pests. Together, these two additional tuned circuits made a big
difference in the results from the August 20-22 trip.

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/8/2010 11:08:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,