[IRCA] The 1580 Spanish mystery continues

[IRCA] The 1580 Spanish mystery continues

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. KOKB 1580 Blackwell OK coöperated by keeping its carrier unmodulated the morning of July 31, so another chance to try to pull an ID from the Spanish station underneath which so far I have detected only on several Saturdays. Started checking at 1222 UT, but no Spanish, dominant station being The Sports Hog, i.e. KHGG Van Buren AR, and it IDed with Fort Smith at 1300. Only after 1300 did I start to hear Mexican music mixing in. Some US station, not necessarily KHGG, had IRN-USA Radio News.

At 1302, hyper Spanish announcer may have included ID --- just as in English, they employ totally insincere voice actors screaming IDs, promos and commercials, as if they would impress listeners.

1306 station in English starting Home Business Radio Show with Tom Chenault, which Google pins on KKKK 1580 Colorado Springs (however, FCC AM Query shows the call is now KREL, with KKKK unassigned and thus available for the Klan to klutch onto).

I was busy unloading carload of artesian water, but rolled tape at 1318-1350, listened to it later. Only a few bits of Spanish appeared now and then, nothing identifiable, beyond circa 1345 mentioning Guadalajara, and partido, i.e. sports talk, which could be from either United States.

Back to live monitoring at 1355, ``La Zona, más música``; 1359 promo ``deportes, sin censura, en La Zona, T---``. I thought it sounded like Teotihuacán, but doubt the Mexican pyramids have such a radio station. Never heard an XE- call; soon mentioned ``la capital del estado``, which is still unhelpful. Losing it by 1402, tho KOKB still OC, and also at 1417 when nothing else is audible.

``La Zona`` should be a good clue for research including Googling, but turns out to be totally unproductive; the word zona is a bit too generic for refined searching. There are a number of radio stations in LAm using such a slogan, but surely this is USAmerica, or at best USMexico, and get no matches with 1580 included. It could be an AM station merely simulcasting an FM station by that name. But I have not found any correlations with possible US or Mexican 1580 stations.

Current references show only four Mexicans on 1580, but FCC AM Query comes up with lots of applications not only in Mexico but several in the US, such as Santa Fe NM, which would be a nice fit geographically and propagationally for what I am hearing on my E-W 110-foot longwire. Possibly this is a new station, one of those really on the air now. Perhaps a New Mexican could check 1580 just in case. When I lived there, an Albuquerque outlet inhabited 1580, before they started swapping around stations, frequencies, formats and locations in the upper part of the band.

And what about KMIK Tempe AZ? It is still 100% Disney, right? 50 kW non-direxional day ought to be a factor here for a while after sunrise, but never heard anything resembling Disney music format. It`s still on website
http://radio.disney.go.com/music/yourstation/phoenix/about.html

Altho no help with this mystery, Googling also led me to a website worth bookmarking/favoring, crammed with linx and info including radio: http://www.zonalatina.com/Radio.htm
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###