Re: [IRCA] DXpedition Day 2 in Gearheart, OR

Re: [IRCA] DXpedition Day 2 in Gearheart, OR

Hi Kevin (and Patrick and Nick),

Sorry about the DXing results of Day 2 in Gearheart, and the uncooperative
weather. It's no fun to go to the trouble of setting up  an Ultralight
DXing station on an ocean beach in the darkness, and  then listen to unusually
anemic TP's.

Although it won't make you feel any better, my own Day 2 (in Seaside) was a
 similar bust. I carried my entire ULR Dxpedition station down to the surf
at  1140 UTC (0440 local time), only to find that the DU propagation (on
July 19th)  had gone into rigor mortis. Several tourists on the beach came up
to me,  and asked me what kind of kite my 3' PVC loop was. I told them that
the  setup was to hear Australian and NZ stations on the AM band, so
naturally one of  them asked to hear a signal from Down Under at that moment. My
enthusiasm  for this type of conversation quickly went down under.

Although the propagation in Seaside is usually excellent, that Day 2
experience was bad enough to make our entire family pick up and leave for
Lincoln City later that day.

73, Gary

In a message dated 7/30/2010 6:55:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,