From: "Dave Marthouse" <dmarthouse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:21:05 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Off the wall question

Stan,

I'm going to take a semi-knowledgeable guess on this one.

Back in the 30's 40's and into the 50's police dispatch was done just above
the am broadcast band and a bit in the two MHZ band. The dispatch was first
only one way from the headquarters to the cars on patrol. Lots of the old
radios could tune up into the dispatch frequencies just above the am band.
Maybe this is a part of the answer to your question. Add to this fact that
perhaps lots of the radios of that day were just designed to tune a little
above and maybe below the broadcast band.

Dave Marthouse
dmarthouse@xxxxxxxxx