Re: [IRCA] Off the wall question

when I was first discovering radio in the early 1960's, a favourite pasttime
for me was to listen to the ship-to-shore calls.  They were handled by an
operator and were generally to/from tugboats and cargo ships, to relatives
on shore.  This on my parents "stereo", which both received AM, AND played
78s, 45s, and LPs

this was on AM 1630.  It might have been my first QSL; I know I knew then
that the content of the calls was protected to I included the details sopken
by the ship-to-shore operator, over a period of (say) 15 minutes.  Got a QSL
finally with a prepared card

ef
Vancouver BC, then & now too