Re: [IRCA] Sunset DX during June

My-our-best SSS catch was with George Sherman and Carl Lubker-RIP at Carl's house using a his Halicrafter and a 500ft wire running west was 1110 Roseville CA at that point was just after their SS and George was able to understand enough mexican to ID i them! That SSS skip was a fantastic opening w/the most catch was 930 KROE Sheridan WY in w/a true local signal. Even w/the wire off they still dom the channel. This was in Nov 1990. George would know the dates better. Carl died not too long after this. 73 de FTS in Woodbury MN

-----Original Message-----
From: rfoxwor1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:50:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Sunset DX during June

---- "Donald K. Kaskey" <kaskeyfamily@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In my experience dxing from Northern California 1957-2010 I have
found
summer sunset dx, especially in June to be almost useless.>

6-23-84  2000  1580  KMCD  IA  Fairfield

I heard this station in 1959, from NJ, when they were on 1570.

They had stayed on the air an hour past scheduled signoff to
carry, in overtime, a National League playoff baseball game. Their ID came
through a break in audio from a much stronger CFOR 1570 in
Orillia Ontario. For a long time I considered it to be my
alltime best sunset catch. Several efforts to get a verification
all failed. (Gee, an hour late sign off? Who knew? hi)

- Bob