[IRCA] 850 WKIX Raleigh, NC Call Sign and Format Change

[IRCA] 850 WKIX Raleigh, NC Call Sign and Format Change

850 WKIX NC., Raleigh (xWRBZ) with a program change from business oriented to oldies of late 50's into the 60's. Noted oldies being played on 3/1, but didn't hear an ID and signal was poor. Noted today, 3/3 @ 1150-1205 with ID, one slogan noted "W K I X Channel Eighty-Five." Local spot noted, along with one for "Odor Eaters." Signal today was good to fair - UNID stn weakly under WKIX. Promos state "Imus in the Morning," "CNN News," and the return of "DJs you know." Of note, CNN News not heard at top or bottom of hour -- checked several times today. So, maybe a feature to come. Local weather (sounded like a TV/professional weather person) each hour (seems +/- TOH). (MH-NC)

On a personal note, I logged this station (then WKIX) from my hometown of Modesto, CA, on 17 March 1969 @ 0615 ELT. I called the station (as some of us were known to do back then) and they reported my reception on the air. Almost 41 years ago? AARGH!! "Those were the days...."

Please excuse if there are duplicate messages.

Mike Hardester
Toyota Highlander with stock radio/antenna