Re: [IRCA] MORE BAD NEWS FOR FM DXERS

Patrick,

It is overpowering AND is very subtle.  There is a station down south of
Fresno on 97.1 that came in well enough to get instant RDS hits.  When
KLLC/97.3 turned on IBOC, 97.1 was gone completely.  When their IBOC has cut
in and out or been turned off for any kind of maintenance, the 97.1 station
is blasting in.  I don't have a good analogy for the sound of FM IBOC, but I
describe it as bacon sizzling in a frying pan.  Its not a good analogy, but
it'll do.  If you tune the FM band, listen for empty frequencies and pay
attention to "really" empty frequencies.  The ones that aren't "really"
empty may be covered up by IBOC from adjacents.  Around here, the IBOC hash
masks adjacents up to 35-40 miles from the offending transmitter.  The good
thing is that I can drop into a valley between hills and weaken the IBOC
enough to be able to listen to some or most of the frequencies that should
be available.

Mike